Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Can very old poppers lose their boyancy
November 12, 2010, 12:58:03 AM
Hi just curious whether over use and time as premium poppers are made of wood and due to saturation over a long period of time can the boyancy finally die.
simply i have 2 poppers bought very cheaply and i mean cheap and second hand and old  . the finish still looks great but without any terminal tackle  (no split rings, no hooks)a absolutly nothing attached  one just sinks and the other floats but vertically  but does not  sink however  the cup face is level with the water . however it could be the popper over time .  The one that sinks is a carpenter tuna pop100 the one that float vertically is a carpenter anthias 90 the finish on this one is still fantastic
 maybe best to put  on the fishing shelf as ornaments.
Just curious   
cheers
Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:09:31 AM by Gareth Branicki

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Can very old poppers lose their boyancy
November 12, 2010, 07:38:17 AM
Gareth, I'm pretty sure that all poppers are made to float vertically, hence the weight at the tail of them. I've bought cheap poppers which sank brand new, maybe you got a dud tuna pop???  ??? ::)
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 08:11:36 AM
I'd point out that some of the Carpenter tuna lures actually sink even without hooks. They're made this way as a compromise to facilitate maximum casting distance.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 09:11:51 AM
Thanks for that i wondered wether it was due to weighting  or the type of popper or just old and dud
  thanks anway for the info
cheers

Ben Earl

November 12, 2010, 11:08:22 AM
Give them a run. Sinking poppers can be very effective with a quicker retrieve, the vertical popper sounds spot on to me

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 01:10:55 PM
Thanks ben for that  i will my  dogfight  instead of the stella and wind fast lol what i thought i might do is just rigg the vertical one head rigged with assit cord . Recently i went into the nomad shop as I live in brisbane one of the guys  helped me out he's South African  ( damn bad with names) for some of the lures i picked up he suggested head rigging them

to be honest he says thats all he prefers to use and showed me some actually  rigged  . He argued even with a tailhook if it hooks in elswhere it can put tension on the main head rigged hook . Either way will give it a go on the one that still floats . Also some excellent advice on in regards to some stickbaits and poppers i was interested in.

If you have a chance wander into the new showroom dont let the wife see the bill way to much temptation i hid my receipt lol  and that was without even looking at the rods on display (kid in a candy store) and the ppl always helpful defiantly helped big time when i lost a ripple fisher rod butt and needed to replace it something i will never do again .
cheers
Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:04:56 PM by Gareth Branicki

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 04:55:33 PM
Gareth how did you manage to lose a RF? Man what a loss...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 05:21:41 PM
Gareth, you don't need to wind that fast at all to keep a lure on the surface, even if it is sinking.
the assist-rigged popper works well and Glanvile swears by it. I'd be more cautious on stickbaits though. You'll probably get away with in on an Orion Bigfoot but it does very odd things to a surface stickbait like a Gamma
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2010, 07:47:53 PM
Brandon thanks for the advice  was only thinking about head rigging poppers  with my stickbaits i have been  rigging them treble on middle and single on back  just checked nomads site and their photos it was glanville he is really passionate about headrigging poppers   
Chris i wont say how i lost the rod butt,  cost wise to replace the butt cost just over 400 so dont lose the end  however  the girls at nomad really helped organise the replacement they were a bit shocked as well;D.
 cheers
Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:57:04 PM by Gareth Branicki