Kurt Carlson

Stella Parts Supplier?
November 18, 2010, 06:11:55 PM
Does anyone know of a good supplier for Stella parts online?
Thanks.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stella Parts Supplier?
November 18, 2010, 06:32:30 PM
Hi Kurt ,

The best thing is to send it back to Shimano Service center , my old 1998 Stella 10000PG had a changeover of gear ratio recently from 5:1 to 6:1 due to the parts required to fix it was no longer available but the reel came back as new functionally , that is something for a reel 10 year old which was used on GT fishing .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kurt Carlson

November 18, 2010, 08:05:29 PM
Thanks for that Jon, but I only need the line roller.  It got some corrosion on it and the coating flaked off.  Looks like I need to improve my maintenance schedule.   :o  If I had major work to do I would send it somewhere.  I am also looking for drag washers and drag grease.  I was hoping this thread would produce an online supplier that people trust.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 18, 2010, 08:32:49 PM
Hi Kurt ,

For just the line roller I guess you can just contact any Shimano Service center and from your location , it's a matter of knowing where the origin of most flight into the country , I heard in Shimano USA is very good in their service works .

I got my drag washers for my old 1998 Stellas from Jack Erskine , all the spools of my old Stellas sport carbontex drag washers , as for the grease you can get Cal's from the same source .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 19, 2010, 10:50:18 AM
Thanks for that Jon, but I only need the line roller.  It got some corrosion on it and the coating flaked off.  Looks like I need to improve my maintenance schedule.   :o  If I had major work to do I would send it somewhere.  I am also looking for drag washers and drag grease.  I was hoping this thread would produce an online supplier that people trust.

Kurt is this the 2008 SW stella line roller? I have noted issues with the line roller on the earlier 2008 batches  from other sources. In fact the same thing happened to me. First day of a fishing trip i strip some line off the spool to test the drag and the braid is cut up by a small piece of flaking coating on the roller. Did not notice it while i was spooling up but will have to check the line now, hoping it is not gonna cost me 425m of varivas GT Max in PE7!!

I read that apparently Shimano over baked the roller coating early on and this flaking problem has become prevalent. The new roller version has a blue dot on the package box!!

Jon, do you know if shimano in Jakarta has these spares??

Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 19, 2010, 12:42:49 PM
Andy, I was talking to the Shimano tech in Bali about this issue only a few weeks ago. They had a lot of the same problem with the early 2008 Stellas and might just have some line rollers in stock still.

I think the bail arm roller design of the SW 2008s was a step backwards from the old models. 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 19, 2010, 12:55:12 PM
There was a running upgrade to the bail roller. It has now been rectified, so if purchasing a Stella today - there is no problem.

Kurt - your best bet for anything Shimano is Shimano Australia service department.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 19, 2010, 02:21:00 PM
Hi Andy ,

I m sure PT. Aneka Ragam should have the required spare parts , if they haven't then it's a matter of their getting them from Singapore where Shimano S.E.A. is located . Afterall they found the parts for my old Stella 1998 so the newer versions must be easier to source .

Jon .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 19, 2010, 03:33:03 PM
Thanks Jon / Mark, i shall look into it.

Luke, I meant to say, when purchasing the new stellas with the rectified bail arm roller, apparently there should be a blue dot sticker on the silver box the stella comes in.

Set the ray to GeeT

Kurt Carlson

November 20, 2010, 06:17:45 AM
Thanks for all the information.  I was told the reel I got was a 2009 model.  I do not see the blue dot on the box that Andy is talking about, but the schematic has a little 09 next to the reel model. 

Do any of you guys know if the SW18000HG (JDM) drag system is different than the export models.  I am downloading the schematic, but it is in Japanese.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 20, 2010, 09:51:01 AM
Thanks for all the information.  I was told the reel I got was a 2009 model.  I do not see the blue dot on the box that Andy is talking about, but the schematic has a little 09 next to the reel model. 

Do any of you guys know if the SW18000HG (JDM) drag system is different than the export models.  I am downloading the schematic, but it is in Japanese.

No difference.

The boxes may not be indicated in the same manner, depends on country of sale and the discretion of the sales office.

Kurt Carlson

November 21, 2010, 06:18:46 AM
Thanks again,  I have sent emails to Shimano Aust. and Singapore from their contact pages.  Hope to hear from one of them soon.  The Japanese schematic has prices for the parts on them.  Wonder how accurate they are.  I got a quote for one drag washer from the top of the spool (small one) on an 18k and it was $31.10 NZD.  That seems a bit high  :o

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 21, 2010, 09:46:04 AM
Thanks again,  I have sent emails to Shimano Aust. and Singapore from their contact pages.  Hope to hear from one of them soon.  The Japanese schematic has prices for the parts on them.  Wonder how accurate they are.  I got a quote for one drag washer from the top of the spool (small one) on an 18k and it was $31.10 NZD.  That seems a bit high  :o

Besides from being a rather important part in a reel Kurt! They are a small item yes, but there needs to be minimum costs attached to certain items so that businesses can turn a profit. Also, if you are dealing with retailer, they also need to make money and for the effort of organsing the part and stocking the part - they also need to make money. Therefore, some items become inflated for those very reasons.