Nathan

What size leader?
September 23, 2007, 09:42:01 PM
 Just wondering what size leaderi should be using when throwing 150 to 200grm poppers? Is 150lb too heavy?

lonhro

Re: What size leader?
September 23, 2007, 09:59:28 PM
It depends on the terrain underneath you, and how you are using your leader. ie single strand or twisted leader. If its single strand and rough terrain 100 to 150 lb sounds ok. If its not too bad 80 lb to 100 lb  twisted or single sounds like enough. Another thing i have found is that it depends on the brand of leader you are using. i have found that penn 10x to be quite strong where as Jinkiais real soft hence using a higher poundage may provide more resistance to abrasion cut off. thats MHO
Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 10:02:21 PM by Randy Singh

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 24, 2007, 08:03:09 AM
Nathan - need a bit more information along the lines of what Randy has covered. Are you going with twisties or single strand, what type of terrain are you fishing, depth etc. I assume if you're talking 150 - 200g poppers that you're looking for fish up to any size.

There is a big difference to if you're fishing in shallow water with a coral encrusted bottom to clear sandy bottom. For a sandy bottom, you could go as low as 100lb - 120lb single strand PROVIDED you had a heavy bite leaded tied or crimped on. If this is what you face, then you better tell me where this is as I want to fish there!

150lb is not too heavy any way you look at it. In fact, for single strand in shallow, rocky bottom, you're dead. If it is a twistie, it should be fine. My heaviest twisties are now 170lb. Obviously, these are made for really nasty areas!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2007, 08:38:09 AM
Brandon, when using 170lb Twisties do you still have a long leader, or shorten it so it doesn't wrap around the spool which at that size is fairly bulky :-\.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2007, 01:25:25 PM
Greg - I like to have the leader on my spool - just. Of course, considering my popping rods range from 7'6" to 8'3", that is going to result in some where it may be a touch shorter than that.

It is bulky so there is a trade-off

Nathan

September 24, 2007, 05:54:04 PM
 I will be trowinf popper around the Witsundays so i gather it'll be reef to rock bottom maybe some sand aswell. Would i be safe in saying 100lb twisted leaders for the reefy area and 60 or 80lb for the not so reefy area?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2007, 08:01:20 PM
I'd suggest you go with the 100lb Penn 10X. If you really want to, you could make up some lighter ones but unless, you have multiple outfits, I wouldn't bother. Each time you want to change, you'd need to cut off the leader and tie another bimimi. Also, I'd suggest you think about a bite segment, especially if you are going to be using the lihgter lines.

Nathan

September 25, 2007, 06:47:33 AM
 Cheers Brandon i'll go with the 100lb!

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 27, 2007, 08:29:27 PM
Does anyone have any experience of Suffix Superior as a leader material? Got loads of this left over from Nile Perch fishing in Uganda. 100lb and 130lb.

What do you reckon?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 28, 2007, 05:11:55 AM
Yip the suffix superior is the same leader as the penn ,just in different packaging.
Im pretty sure.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER