Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
making a barbless hook
July 10, 2011, 09:08:38 AM
Hi

A newbie question.  From reading old post  I  see that there are ways to  stop just  from setting in once a barb is removed from a hook. Has this withstood the test  of time?  Is there  recommended way  to  remove the barb from sj 41's without opening the hook up  to  rapidly  rusting?  The bard won't crush down by the means I  do  the owner ST 66's. Also  on st 76 5/0's is it ideal  to  crush  or file down the barb? In other hook applications I  have found that  filing off barbs speeds along the rust process even when rinsed in fresh  water.

thanks

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: making a barbless hook
July 14, 2011, 06:29:09 AM
Hi Robert - I use a dremel usually to sand the barb off.  You're right in that it does speed up the rust process.  To help with this I generally remove barb, sharpen tip and then use a permanent marker to "paint" the bare surfaces.  Doesn't stop it but helps.

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2011, 11:27:57 AM
Thanks Travis

Does the black permanent Marker actually seal the "wound" so to speak? I thought there was another product I was't familiar with. Also I have never removed the barb from those pre sharpened hook like a SJ 41, can they  be resharpened and honed with  a file or grinder??

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 14, 2011, 11:58:34 AM
Hi Robert, i think it does seal it pretty well, the oil based markers seem to work even better.  It will wear though and I wash my hooks and give a spray of inox after each trip.  You can touch up the pen work then also.  That said i'll often be lazy after a big trip and forget to do it and man, they do rust up pretty quick. 

Yeah absoultely the hooks can be touched up - when i was using SJ51's i used to dremel the "wings" of the apparent cutting tip off to give a finer guage hook.  I also can't help but touch up the point of even new hooks if i'm debarbing them - need to be careful though as while there is some sharpness to be gained it only takes a small slip take the tip right off and it can be a lot of work to get it back even close to what it was like coming out of the packet.  I also carry a small stone to touch up the tips of hooks on a trip just in case they dull or get knocked.     

Not sure on the other solution you have in mind, I think the bill fishers use a type of tape that has like a sacraficial anode type effect so that their hooks don't dull while being trolled around all day - too cumbersome a solution for GT lures though. 

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 14, 2011, 09:51:12 PM
Robert, you can buy the ST66 in a barbless model with the BL name. 

As for singles, try some nail polish (single hooks that is......not single fisherman.......although I hear that works too in some areas)! 

If you don't want your hooks looking a little gay........ you can get 'clear' nail polish!

Stephen Callus

• Fusilier
  • plan a trip to stay a live
  • Liked:
July 15, 2011, 09:25:37 AM
Rob
There is a product I have used it is a rust conversion paint, it bring rusted metal back. If you apply this as soon as you demel the barbs apply a couple of coats on, this will turn the hook black and will be just like you got it out of the packet. :)
plan a trip to stay a live

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 08:13:28 PM
In regards to the tape that Travis mantioned, Owner make a tape that is recommended for SJ41 and SJ51 hooks. You can check it out on the link below.

http://www.purefishing.com.au/accessories/owner-accessories/rust-stop/rust-stop/

Hope it helps

Kev

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 18, 2011, 08:07:12 AM
In regards to the tape that Travis mantioned, Owner make a tape that is recommended for SJ41 and SJ51 hooks. You can check it out on the link below.

http://www.purefishing.com.au/accessories/owner-accessories/rust-stop/rust-stop/

Hope it helps

Kev

First time i've actually seen it, looks pretty low key and practical to me, be interesting to try.

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2011, 08:56:50 AM
thanks Kevin

This might come in handly for many types of fishing.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 18, 2011, 10:52:49 AM
I use it on all hooks except Stainless steel, it works wonders on chemically sharpened hooks for keeping sharp points in trolling.
Cut off long thin self adhesive strips to wrap around the shank which keeps it all neat, you get four to five strips out of each small section.
Greg 'FFF' Burt