Luke Jackson

Whitsundays in Winter
May 14, 2011, 04:46:51 PM
Hi, First time post.

Heading to the Whitsundays smack bang in the middle of winter (July). Just wondering if its worth taking my GT popping gear. I've never been up there in winter before and I don't really know what to expect. I'm on a bareboat with my own 20' centre console for fishing, so I'm not really limited on where I can go. I just want to know if its worth taking GT gear up there this time of year.

Thanks everyone :)

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whitsundays in Winter
May 14, 2011, 05:30:59 PM
Welcome Luke,

Seriously, I reckon it'd be very unwise not to take some GT kit to that part of the world.....you never know what sort of mood the local Gee's will be in. Chances are they might be a little bit off the boil, but if the tides are big (probably anything over about 4m of tidal difference) at any stage of your trip, then you could have some cracking surface sessions if you fish the right locations. The area has it's fair share of GTs, so they have to eat sometime?!

Look forward to hearing how you go.

Cheers
Angus

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 14, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
We have caught some of our best GT's in winter here on the cap coast, shouldn't be any different up there.

Luke Jackson

May 14, 2011, 05:44:47 PM
Yeah, I guess I will take a GT rod or two. Can't hurt... Thanks for the replies. Has anyone been up there in winter so I can know what to expect?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2011, 01:53:47 PM
Take a light spin outfit along also.

Queenies can be a good back up if the GT's dont want to play.

Pete

jake mitchell

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 15, 2011, 07:43:19 PM
the whitsundays always have gt's. whether you catch any is up to you. there's a million spots to fish, best bet would be to keep moving until you find the fish. being winter it's likely there will be a lot of small bait around and possibly a heap of mackeral too.

jake