Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

The best by-catch was Jon's nice Red Bass and a sizeable Great Barracuda which was my first ever fish on a heavy popping set up and I loved every second of it! We did have heavy jigging gear on board but Jon and my fitness was not up to deep water jigging with 600g jigs in 5 knot currents after 6 straight hours of popping! We tried but had to take a 5 minute rest every 2 drops so we called it off for more popping! I would have had an extremely hard time had I not lost 20kg and started a diet and exercise regime 6 weeks prior to this trip.

http://balisportfishing.blogspot.com/ Mark as I am still trying to track down my memory card from the camera I had with me!
Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:22:13 AM by Ben Furness

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
No comments? I know my writing style probably leaves a bit to be desired but I didn't think it was that bad! Maybe Mark or Jon would like to add a few thing I may have missed! LOL  ;D

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
No Ben. I think this is great report. I can really feel how much you have enjoyed and exited on this trip. :)

I'm also like yourself and always enjoy the trip itself regardless the outcome.

Well done.

Cheers,
Tak

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Nothing wrong with that report Ben,

Good Pics and plenty of memories there mate.

Hopefully I will get over and see Mark myself one day......Its the sought of Trip I could take my wife on as she could can go shopping while I fish. ;D

Oh yes.....I am one of these sensitive new ages guys. :o ;D

Pete

Cenovito Zamudio

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Baby GTs are so cute..

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Your excitement comes over really well Ben. It was great fishing with you and Jon, and I really look forward to our next expedition.

You have reminded me how close I was to going overboard with that first fish :).   Railings are generally a good idea.

Great shame that we could not raise the monsters that inhabit those waters - there are certainly plenty of them there.  With 13 strikes in one day, that none of them were over 20 kgs is definitely odd for that area! The sheer beauty of fishing in South Lombok never fails to take my breath away - one of the most stunning locations imaginable.   It is of course even better when the big fish come out to play.

Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:10:03 PM by Mark Harris

David East

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice report.What kind of boat were you fishing in?Size,power etc.Looks like a real trip to remember.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
David, it was a 31 ft twin hull with 2 x 200 Yamaha four stroke outboards.  Works nicely with 3 or 4 casting.  Speedy boat up to 30 knots if it is flat enough and ultra stable.

Trent

Great report mate enjoyed reading it

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
great catch report! thanks! one question, do you think Smith's Keyolhu and Saltiga Dogfight is a good combo for the waters in Bali? Or is it an overkill?

jonathan_tan

Nice report.

Anyone done any tuna fishing in Lombok?
Heard there is monster yellowfin, but hardly see any posts on them.