Nick Wykeham-Martin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter Pandora 155
February 12, 2012, 03:19:11 PM
Hi,

I just received some new lures including a Carpenter Pandora 155. Does anyone know what the best retrieve is for the lure, is it like the Gammas? Also what water depth / situation would you use a sinking stickbait like the Pandora instead of a floating one?

Thanks

Nick

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter Pandora 155
February 12, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
I found this page on the Carpenter site, if you scroll down there is a video. Looks easy.
www.carpenter.ne.jp/lure_setumei/pandora155.+30/pandora155.+30.htm

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 04:43:51 PM
Hi Nick

Sinking stickbaits are generally much kinder to the angler than floating types and you certainly do not need the subtle levels of control that some floating types require.

In that Carpenter video, the Pandora is allowed to sink a long way and he uses a very simple flicking/tapping retrieve, and that is often very effective (like it was in that clip!).  Some sinking types seem to respond better to long slow pulls or sweeps though... Orion Bigfoot and Heru Bobara come to mind.

Also, I think it is useful not only to think of sinking stickbaits as a weapon to use deep down in the water column. In choppy conditions they are a great option. You can hardly allow them to sink at all - just keep the lure in the sub-surface - and this allows you to be using a stickbait very close to the surface when the conditions would make floating types difficult to control.

Another useful advantage of sinking types is that they are invariably denser due to the interior weighting and therefore cast further, especially into the wind.

Just my views of course - others might think differently.
Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:46:16 PM by Mark Harris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 07:39:02 PM
Agree with above.

Simply let sink (keep tension as they will get eaten on the way down).

A slow to moderate, regular retrieve with tip beating ("Tapping" as Mark mentions), seems to be the most effective and simply technique.

We had countless multiple hook-ups on Pandora in Tokara on the deeper reefs. Can't wait to use them on King & AJ reefs in the future.

Nick Wykeham-Martin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2012, 07:59:33 PM
Hi Luke, Mark and Stu,

thanks for the feedback, ill give it a go on my next trip!

Thanks

Nick