Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Location strategy - island passage
March 04, 2012, 10:15:58 AM
Hi all,

With all the experienced popping and stickbaiting guys (and guides) on this forum, I am curious to see what people's experiences are with fishing different types of location and structure.

I know we have caught GTs on the surface from many different depths and locations, and I am sure there are many people out there who fish out of their own boats and would like to know the best approach when fishing these different areas.

Let's start with an island passage, with the tide coming in as per the diagram.  Depth of water through the passage is say 15-25m at low tide.  Where would you expect to find the fish?  What areas would you target first?

Focus on the pop

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Location strategy - island passage
March 04, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
My natural instinct says E2 and F2/3

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 11:55:50 AM
Depends a lot on which direction the current is running (?), but I think I would also like the look of H1 and H2 and I1 and I2.

Ben Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 01:02:15 PM
That looks like Hook Passage so the E2 and D3 area is a sanctuary which is a bit of a shame because it holds some massive fish. I'd be more inclined to try further out where Mark mentioned like G2, H2 and I2. Looks like some nice bommies there. Wind against tide would be good there. i.e. run out tide with an easterly. If you go a bit further around the front there is a big bluff on the southern end of Peter Bay which sticks out into the current and creates a big eddy. I've seen half of that bay fill up with bait fish. Same thing with Tongue Bay and Apostle Bay. The outer reef is not far from there too, and that's a whole new kettle of fish ;)

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 01:06:29 PM
Ha ha good work Ben, it is Hook Passage.  I am going to put an offshore channel up as one of these Location Strategies... hoping to get to fish one of them soon  ;)
Focus on the pop

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 04, 2012, 05:47:11 PM
Hi Andrew, as you might have picked up it's all about the tide on the day. I would be looking for the edge where the current is forcing water onto it, rather than along it. Ideally a rock bar where the water is flowing up and over it.
Edges where the current is flowing along it, it is best to find a bommie that juts out a bit and breaks the general flow along the edge.

My 2 cents anyway.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 07:40:35 AM
I agree with the spots others have mentioned and throw in a D4 as well....unless that's algal spawn and not a rock bar/bommie  :o ;)