david george christie

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
which hooks are best
December 11, 2012, 05:36:14 PM
Dear all.

I recently came back from my 1st GT fishing trip.
Over the space of the 5 days I lost 5 fish after they had hooked up.

My question is: Are single hooks better on poppers than trebles in terms of not being shaken out by the GT?

regards

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: which hooks are best
December 12, 2012, 02:29:35 PM
David, in answer to your question, yes singles are better, as a bonus they also do much less damage to the fish.

Set the ray to GeeT

david george christie

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 06:24:47 PM
Thanks Andy - I have been on this forum every day since we got back from the trip on Sunday

regards

Ben Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 09:04:03 PM
Do you guys remove the barb if using single hook for GT?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 11:58:16 PM
Always barbless, single or treble.

David, whilst what Andy says is true a lot of the time, you should not assume that you will keep fish just because they hook up on a single.  Whilst there is little doubt that a well hooked fish on a single is less likely to come off, they certainly still do for all sorts of reasons.
Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:27:03 AM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2012, 07:32:25 AM
David, the debate between single and trebles is one that will never be settled. As Mark pointed out, you will drop fish irrespective of whether you use singles or trebles. I don't think there is that much doubt that a single hook tends to stay in better once properly hooked but conversely, I think it is also generally accepted that you don't hook as many fish with singles.

Trebles are particularly unforgiving on newer anglers as it is essential to keep the tension on the fish at all times. Any slack in the line gives the fish an opportunity to dislodge the hook.

I have a strong personal preference for trebles for the simple reason that the lures I like to use swim better with trebles. Nomad Sportfishing strongly espouse the use of single hooks and will not permit the use of trebles on their charters. This is driven by a view they have that single do less damage to fish.

At the end of the day, it is a personal thing. If you believe one type of hook performs better for you and you feel better about using it, then it probably will perform better.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

david george christie

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 13, 2012, 11:17:36 AM
Thanks Brandon / Mark.

I guess on my next trip I will have to alternate between trebles and singles to see what suits my style best.
Of course there may well be a fair element of truth in keeping the line tight as being a 1st time GT fisher I'm sure my technique has a lot to answer for.

regards

Al Morrison

December 17, 2012, 08:40:16 PM
George,

32 kg for your first ever GT, followed by a 22 kg fish a few casts later wasn't a bad effort though! we ALL dropped a few fish on that trip....  :(