Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which Nomad Reef?
February 02, 2013, 07:02:56 AM
A friend and I are doing some preliminary research for a possible GT fishing trip, and one of the potential options is Nomad, as they have a very good reputation.  But with so many choices for reefs that Nomad visits, it is hard to make a decision.  I tried reading a little through the archived Nomad posts but they are a bit extensive, there are no pics, and the guides have a way of making every destination sound like the best.

If you want to get the best combination of jigging/popping for big GT's and dogtooth, what do ya'll think is the best destination?

Robert Balkow

Re: Which Nomad Reef?
February 02, 2013, 07:43:40 AM
I am with you Evan - have the same problems like you!  ;D ;)

Cheers
Rob

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 09:10:35 AM
I have been on very, very few trips anywhere where the GTs and doggies are firing at the same time. That really needs a lot of luck. Nomad have some incredibly remote locations which they visit but remoteness doesn't always equate to great fishing as you still have to get lucky with the conditions etc but if you do, then boy, those remote locations can really fire up. They get catches from time to time that are impossible to match - 50 GTs on a boat days but please don't think this is the usual standard as it is very much the exception. My personal view is that if you can land ten GTs a day from a boat that it is a pretty damn good day.

My suggestion is that you focus on one and hope on the other. For doggies, Nomad used to have Diamond Islet on the calendar but that is no longer there. This was an unbelievable doggie location in the early years. You can get good jigging at most of the remote reefs like Marion Reef, Kenn Reef etc. There is very good potential in some parts of Jewell Reef.

For GTs, my personal view is that the best location is probably Elusive Reef although the area around Jewell can really fire up. We have had good fishing at Bugatti over a number of years.

The fishing, like anywhere else, is really dependent on conditions but you get favourable currents and wind, then I think their locations are very hard to beat. Nomad have the advantage of remoteness and fishing territory that is almost untouched.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 11:04:07 AM
Thanks Brandon! That is some quite useful info there. :)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 11:07:11 AM
Vanuatu is worth a look mate.

You will never get the same amount of GT's over in Vanuatu but they are there and some big fish reside.

When it comes to Dogtooth it is well renowned for numbers and BIG fish.

If you want a mixture of both species Vanuatu is a great destination.

Another fantastic benefit is the protection you can get from the surrounding islands which means you can always escape the wind and weather on the lee side.

Pete

Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 12:58:10 PM
Yes Vanuatu is definately on the table as well.  I have heard some good things about the Ocean Blue operation, and it does not get too much more exotic than that.  :)

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 01:05:12 PM
NEW CALEDONIA!!! For both GTs and doggies

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 02, 2013, 01:46:57 PM
I've been to Vanuatu a number of times, last trip being about five or six years ago. Never landed a decent GT there. The fish are there but don't expect a lot of them
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 07, 2013, 10:28:25 PM
Hi Evan,
I've done a couple of Nomad trips ( Bugatti and a 3 day out from Mackay). There's no doubt they are great trips. But if you are looking for an absolute first class guide who will bust his butt to put you on the maximum number of GTs, look up Seafever Sportfishing Whitsundays. For well under half the price of a Nomad trip, you can fish up to 70 odd miles offshore from Airlie and owner/skipper Ash Matthews, will use his intimate local knowledge to put you where the fish are chewing at the right time. Of course there's no gaurantees, but Ash has provided the most consistent fishing whenever I have fished with him.
Just an idea for you mate, hope you have a great trip where ever you end up.

Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 11, 2013, 03:59:22 PM
Hi Evan,
I've done a couple of Nomad trips ( Bugatti and a 3 day out from Mackay). There's no doubt they are great trips. But if you are looking for an absolute first class guide who will bust his butt to put you on the maximum number of GTs, look up Seafever Sportfishing Whitsundays. For well under half the price of a Nomad trip, you can fish up to 70 odd miles offshore from Airlie and owner/skipper Ash Matthews, will use his intimate local knowledge to put you where the fish are chewing at the right time. Of course there's no gaurantees, but Ash has provided the most consistent fishing whenever I have fished with him.
Just an idea for you mate, hope you have a great trip where ever you end up.

Thanks for the suggestion Doug.  I will keep this in mind. 

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 11, 2013, 04:59:57 PM
I've been to Vanuatu a number of times, last trip being about five or six years ago. Never landed a decent GT there. The fish are there but don't expect a lot of them

Brandon no one was seriously targeting GT's in Vanuatu back then. Fact is, we've seen more big GT's caught in Vanuatu in the last 12 months than the previous 10 years...
Will be interesting to see what the new mothership trips find as those islands are more remote, reefy, low lying etc than those closer in to Vila.

Reckon if you want to add GT's to a dogtooth trip then it's a strong contender, especially for variety and bang for your buck.

Cheers Dave