Lou arellano

Stripe Marlin on stickbait? possible?
December 08, 2012, 03:15:18 PM
Guys

What are your thoughts or has anyone achieved this?...

Trebles? singles?...which hooks....

cheers

Lou

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stripe Marlin on stickbait? possible?
December 08, 2012, 04:05:45 PM
Lou,

I think it totally doable. It's been something I've been thinking about recently.

Sailfish are a realistic target on stickbaits albeit with single hook combinations rather than trebles (although I have caught one on trebles). Personally I prefer swinging singles on assists. I think it's reasonable to assume that striped marlin would respond similarly.

One of the problems in fishing for them exactly like sailfish is that it is, unlike sailfish, a rare event that marlin are found in high enough concentrations to make blind casting viable. There are exceptions, when you come across a free swimmer or when big bait balls form offshore being some of them. A couple of years ago at the Carpark you could have reached over and touched them they were that thick but that is rare. More likely would be the use of traditional bait and switch techniques where the live or dead bait switch is substituted for a stick bait in a similar fashion to a fly.

Once hooked (other than smaller fish) they become a different proposition compared to sailfish. Once the aerials have subsided (if they ever start) your equipment has to have enough backbone to slug it out, 80-100lb line will suffice, maybe even 60-80lb, but you may need more than 300 metres of it. Modern spinning reels are more than adequate. Harnesses and back support have to be thought about since although GTs are brutal the pain only lasts 10-15mins, marlin are less brutal but the pressure is constant and may last longer than 30 mins.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Trevor
Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:03:10 PM by Trevor Skinner

Titahi brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 08, 2012, 06:50:13 PM
Trevors advise is sound,  In the event you come across a pack of strippies bailing bait, then casting would seem feasable. Switch and tease is easier, and has the added bonus of getting the fish fired up to the point they will chew aggressively.
I caught one at the Whanganells Banks last year, we caught a bunch on all sorts of tackle, from 50lb 30 lb down to 16 lb then a stickbait. All the fish where teased and switched. The video is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsVVJ6DBjqU&feature=g-crec-u

Lou arellano

December 08, 2012, 06:54:29 PM
Thanks Trevor and Titahi...

I know the Stripes bill/mouth area are very hard and thats why they tend to throw hooks off easily....

Going to give it a shot next time..

David East

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2012, 01:30:21 PM
Absolutely.
 I just got back from a fly fishing trip in Guatemala last week.Fishing was slow this trip,my forth in 2 years but we managed to catch a couple each day on fly.
 I brought a stella 8k and a handful of poppers and stick baits with me with the plan get a few sails on fly under my belt  then cast them a popper or if we came across a large pack give 'em a try.
 We trolled 4 hookless lures and when a sail or 6 came up wacking the lures we teased them in and put the boat in neutral ,pulled the hookless baits out of the water  and replace them with a fly and more times than not they just pounce on the fly.
 I have no doubt they will kill a popper or stick bait.
  I know they do this for stripeys in Mexico and Galapagos Islands.
 Please post if you give it a try,Good luck.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 10, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
The guys have hooked a few blues on poppers in Vanuatu. That's with trebles.
I know Andrea is keen to rig with singles on assist cord and target them specifically.

Cheers

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 22, 2012, 06:48:28 PM
Nomad have caught a Marlin (not sure which type) on a Stickbait but I think they were trolling it.From memory it made the cover of Blue Water Magazine.I think the Stickbait was a 200 Dogtooth and I would suggest they had singles on it.
There may still be a write up on their website or you can contact them direct .Understand they are out of the office till the 7 th Jan.Hope this helps.Good Luck.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Titahi brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 22, 2012, 10:49:41 PM
Heres something I was playing around with at the time, the Gillies has a small channel filed with a chainsaw file  into the rear with a "Kiwi as" sheep docking ring to hold the rear hook in position. I didnt end up throwing this. But the principle of sharp, strong and small gague to penetrate is relevant.

Heres what we eventually went with....

Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:54:31 PM by Titahi brown

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 26, 2012, 12:37:40 PM
In Malaysia, baker's have a far greater success hooking up sail than trebles. Decoy pike/cutlass hooks are favored for this purpose. I supposed that could also work for marlin.

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 29, 2012, 02:55:21 PM
The Nomad marlin on a Stickbait was a baby black around100lb.It was hooked up on the rear hook and it looked like either an11/0 or 13/0 Jobu.It is featured on their latest promo DVD.The Stickbait was being trolled.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!