Tosh Auer

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SJ41 TN vs SJ41 TG?!?
May 02, 2013, 03:50:19 PM
Just went down to a local tackle store to grab a new cubera150 and some hooks when I came across OWNER SJ41 TN for the first time. It was all they had in an 11/0 so I brought them. One thing I did notice was that the TG in a 7/0 had a higher load rating than the TN in an 11/0. Also obviously the lack of the gold finish SJ41's are known for. Can anyone fill me in on the actual differences?

Tosh Auer

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: SJ41 TN vs SJ41 TG?!?
May 02, 2013, 08:33:06 PM
Some pics of each hook for comparison. I am now thinking they are a lighter gauge of the same design. I am wondering if the silver finish is anymore rust resistant though? To note SJ41 TG 7/0 is rated at 187lb twice that of the TN

Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:56:54 PM by TOSH AUER

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 09:48:30 PM
I'm sure someone will very quickly correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that TG is thick gauge, which would make sense given what you've said about load ratings.

Though if that were the case I really have no idea what TN would stand for, so it's quite likely I'm wrong!

Dan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 10:56:01 PM
Japanese hooks are a world of mystery but I thought (only thought!) that the TN and TG suffixes were related to the finish and nothing to do with the gauge?

I have seen the TG code referred to as "Titanium Gold" and thought that TN might be "Titanium Nickel"?

Could be totally wrong here of course.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 11:30:26 PM
Japanese hooks are a world of mystery but I thought (only thought!) that the TN and TG suffixes were related to the finish and nothing to do with the gauge?

I have seen the TG code referred to as "Titanium Gold" and thought that TN might be "Titanium Nickel"?

I am of the same opinion as Mark , TN n TG refer to coating of the hook but they both corrode just the same .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 02, 2013, 11:38:25 PM
I've been caught out with the same. Local shop only had TN instead of the usual TG. In 11/0 size the difference is TG 4pc per pack @ 250lb rating vs TN 3pc per pack @ 172lb.

Same price...  :-\
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 04, 2013, 01:41:41 PM

The TN is a tin finish, that's why it holds up longer than the TG.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 04, 2013, 01:50:49 PM
Thanks Sam.. so TN stands for Tin?

There is no doubt that the TN Owner finish corrodes way slower than the TG which is truly awful.
Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:52:26 PM by Mark Harris

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 04, 2013, 01:57:33 PM
Thanks Sam.. so TN stands for Tin?

There is no doubt that the TN Owner finish corrodes way slower than the TG which is truly awful.

Yip, they use vacuum metallization to apply the tin, super cool process. They use the same process on plastic lures to apply that shiny chrome finish.

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 04, 2013, 06:29:08 PM
I took the liberty to throw the Verviers on both varieties in the 11/0 size.  Measuring at various point and across several axes, the differences are negligible so the TN is either made of a different material, or deliberately debated for some other reason.

I do note that they seem to be fabricated by different processes as the TN has notch marks near the bends due to whatever holding/bending tool they use, where the TG does not. This would make it slightly weaker.
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 24, 2013, 10:16:08 AM
HI

I have been searching high and low for the SJ-41TG.  Everywhere in NZ is out and Saltywater and JDM are both out.  I wrote to randy at JDM who informed me that  the sj-41TG are discontinued. the tin finished ones rust less but the gold had more strength and bling. Something about the gold coloring worked for me

Oh well onto the the TN and the the Owner Kue 35. the owners are great with the longer shank.. but I miss the bling!

rob