Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith WRC-80P-35 - What's it Like?
July 06, 2008, 09:29:34 PM
Guys,

I saw a Smith WRC-80P-35 yesterday in a store and thought it seemed to be a reasonable rod.  Unfortunately due to a recent medical condition (put it this way I won't be having any more kids...) I wasn't able to load it up.  Can anyone give me any opinions on what this rod might be like matched to a Stella 10000 with 80lb braid for using on poppers and stickbaits.  I would assume it is at the lower end of the strength curve, but would it do the job on average fish (20-30kg) in normal conditions (if there is such a thing)?

I don't think I am up for a Tokara or Komodo Dragon as they are a bit too big a "gun" for me to use.

Thanks,

Simon

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Smith WRC-80P-35 - What's it Like?
July 06, 2008, 10:53:54 PM
 Hi Simon, I looked at this rod last year after reading good things about it, it is often referred to as a beginners rod and looks the goods for what you are after.
Here are some specs:
http://www.#########.com/product_view.php?product_id=218

Jones Tackle and Fish Head both had them in stock the last time I looked.
Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:24:06 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 06, 2008, 11:08:45 PM
'Whoops', put a NO NO name up, I will try to give the info manually ::).

Smith WRC 80P/35 Popping Special

This is a very popular blank that has proven able to handle big fish. Very easy to cast and lightweight.

Excellent starting rod for first time GT angler.

You will probably see some good reviews of this rod if you search the Internet.

Specifications:

Guides - Fuji SiC - ICMNSG - Titanium Ion Coated Stainless Steel Ocean Guides

Reel Seat - Fuji DPS

Gimbal - Graphite Gimbal

Model.................Smith WRC-80P/35 Popping Special               Lure Weight..........................~150g
 Length................   8'       Packing Length..............175cm        Section ................................  1 pcs
Action ................. Fast      Rod Weight .................. 447g         Power Carbon Content ............ Ex.Heavy 90%

::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mark Lewis

July 08, 2008, 11:47:16 AM
I don't tangle with GT's as often as many of you but I really like the 80P/35 for a whole variety of fish in addition to members of the caranx family.  While I see it referred to as a "beginners" rod on some forums, and "old technology", I'm well past always having to have the latest thing.  I own a veritable ton of tackle and although I certainly own rods costing more, rods that are stronger, etc., I just bought another 80P/35 so that if they discontinue it I have a spare.  If all you are going after is 30kg fish, I doubt it will even break a sweat.

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 08, 2008, 07:48:48 PM
I fished this rod a bit im Musandam and my friends now own them. Very impressive but was maxed out on some of the bigger fish in heavy currents. For average fish I think it's perfect and won't kill you. Good for lures to 150g, pencils and stickbaits. Pulling a big cupped popper can be a bit of an effort as it bends when you pop but still do-able.

Similar to HOTS Gipang 83H which I've just bought. The HOTS rod is a bit stiffer so may be a bit better for chuggers... The build on the HOTS is nicer in my opinion.

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 08:26:08 AM
Guys,

What size reel do you run on the rod?  From the extra internet research I have done it looks like it might be better suited to an 8000 sized reel rather than the 10000 size I am planning.  I'm certainly not certain about that though.

Thanks for the replies to date.

Simon

Mark Lewis

July 09, 2008, 12:56:24 PM
I started with a 10,000 on mine but went to an 8000 later.  After using it like that for a while, I just bought another 10,000 to use on it again.  I think it balances better with the weight of the 10,000.....but that's just me.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 03:52:01 PM
My Cajun fishing buddy uses his WRC80P/35 with Stella 10000F and I find it to be an ideal set up .

In my opinion the new SW10000XG is a face lifted STL10000F/STL16000F , worth a look around for a still new STL10000F/STL16000F . If there are some improvements on the latest Stella , it would be due to new technology in manufacturing processes rather than innovations .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 04:24:46 PM
My Cajun fishing buddy uses his WRC80P/35 with Stella 10000F and I find it to be an ideal set up .

In my opinion the new SW10000XG is a face lifted STL10000F/STL16000F , worth a look around for a still new STL10000F/STL16000F . If there are some improvements on the latest Stella , it would be due to new technology in manufacturing processes rather than innovations .

Jon . 

The new 10k size is now the equivalent or thereabouts of a current FA8000 size. Despite the size reduction, the spool actually has an increased spool capacity than that of the current 10kFA model, not to mention considerable weight reduction. Not simply a face-lift.

How do you measure or determine innovation - I think that is a subjective decision. Perhaps you should have a look at the features and the claimed benefits to make a proper decision - obviously you have not. The new enhancements are definitely worth it in my opinion - but you can take my opinion with a grain of salt due to my Shimano connection.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 04:27:56 PM
The 10000SW will prove to be an ideal PE6-PE8 reel, so you can then match accordingly with the rod you would like to use. The 18000SW will be ideal for PE10+ - hope this helps.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 05:58:38 PM

How do you measure or determine innovation - I think that is a subjective decision. Perhaps you should have a look at the features and the claimed benefits to make a proper decision - obviously you have not. The new enhancements are definitely worth it in my opinion - but you can take my opinion with a grain of salt due to my Shimano connection.

Hi Luke ,

I measure innovation when something completely new comes into existence , I wud rate Shimano Corp. as the best company in innovations based on the followings revolutionary innovation in 2002 / 2003 period ;

1. Twin Disc drag in Stella FA series ( Have SW10000 n SW8000 ) .
2. DC technology in baitcasing reels ( Have 101DC n 201DC , waiting for
   Metanium DC7 lefty )

However with these new Stella , I can not see and feel what I wud rate as innovations except improvements from the previous model . I still think the Stella FA models were so overbuilt that nothing in the market can touch them and their shortcoming is only in the weight of the reel . The new Stella addresses this weight problem but retain the Twin Disc drag on the 2 bigger reels whilst in FA series , the Twin Disc drag system is available in size 6000 ~ 20000 .

Now tell me what is the completely NEW things incorporated in these new Stellas ?

Sorry to hi-jack the topic .

Jon .   

Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:14:35 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 06:46:20 PM

Hi Luke ,

I measure innovation when something completely new comes into existence , I wud rate Shimano Corp. as the best company in innovations based on the followings revolutionary innovation in 2002 / 2003 period ;

1. Twin Disc drag in Stella FA series ( Have SW10000 n SW8000 ) .
2. DC technology in baitcasing reels ( Have 101DC n 201DC , waiting for
   Metanium DC7 lefty )

However with these new Stella , I can not see and feel what I wud rate as innovations except improvements from the previous model . I still think the Stella FA models were so overbuilt that nothing in the market can touch them and their shortcoming is only in the weight of the reel . The new Stella addresses this weight problem but retain the Twin Disc drag on the 2 bigger reels whilst in FA series , the Twin Disc drag system is available in size 6000 ~ 20000 .

Now tell me what is the completely NEW things incorporated in these new Stellas ?

Sorry to hi-jack the topic .

Jon .   

Jon,

I can't even try to convey my point if you think that innovation is strictly limited to totally "new" - I diagree with that view point. The other part of my point is that you think that some of the "enhancements" are only cosmetic/"facelift" - If you look at the enhancements that Shimano claims - they are not just limited to what you would call a "facelift". If you had picked up a STL10000SW you would instantly be able to tell that it isn't anything alike the old 10kFA or 16F.

Luke

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 08:27:18 PM

Jon,

I can't even try to convey my point if you think that innovation is strictly limited to totally "new" - I diagree with that view point. The other part of my point is that you think that some of the "enhancements" are only cosmetic/"facelift" - If you look at the enhancements that Shimano claims - they are not just limited to what you would call a "facelift". If you had picked up a STL10000SW you would instantly be able to tell that it isn't anything alike the old 10kFA or 16F.

Luke

Hi Luke ,

We agree to disagree on " innovation " but I am a Shimano fan , still .   ;)

Jon .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2008, 09:45:50 PM

Jon,

Luke

Hi Luke ,

We agree to disagree on " innovation " but I am a Shimano fan , still .   ;)

Jon .

All good Jon  ;D :D

Aaron Concord

July 15, 2008, 10:34:39 AM
My mate Geoffrey Seeto has an 80/35 matched to a Dogfight with 100lb GT Avani.
He purchased this rod since he's a short arse and weighs about 70kg max.
It was the only GT rod he felt comfortable with 'when trying out in store' to see if he could actually handle the fully loaded rod.
He casts all day with it. Has used poppers & sticks off it (though for me it's a better sticky rod than big blooper rod).
The best fish he's hooked on it is over 35kg though most fish have been 15-25kg which this rod handles no problems and more importantly GEOFF can handle it no problems. I think he'd like a big gun for those times when special BIG GT adventures arise, though he's very happy with this rod, which is over 2 years old.
Without a store full of Fisherman, Carpenters etc to judge it against, Smith got the sale since it was one of only a couple rods availble in SE QLD at the time & Geoff wasn't going to cough up a grand on a sight unseen rod.
It's a nice combo for people who are smaller framed or are getting used to loading fast action popping rods.