Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cairns - excuse my ignorance
February 17, 2014, 05:45:36 AM
I've never been to Cairns and have the chance in May 2015 , I've also never caught a GT also is there anyone there that would be recommended to go out fishing with to pop that cherry ?

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Cairns - excuse my ignorance
February 18, 2014, 03:16:06 PM
After 80 views no one can reccomend any one then ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2014, 03:38:02 PM
There are not as many options in Cairns as you might think, short of hiring a gameboat on your own and that would be huge $$$. You could try Kerry at Blackout Sportfishing although he isn't that keen on catering for popper anglers. If you are prepared to drive to Port Douglas, Brett Goetze at Reel Chase might be able to cater for some day charter for you in one of his smaller vessels.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 18, 2014, 06:06:14 PM
Hi,

I've fished with Adam from Fafun out of Port Douglas.
You will have to charter the whole boat if there are no other for the outter reef trip.

Port Douglas is a fair drive north of cairns but is closer to the reef. We caught GT's in the 20kg class and one at 35kg. The by catches keep you entertained, coral trout, spanich mackeral etc.

Derek

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 19, 2014, 05:40:17 AM
Thanks Derek and Brandon , I thought there would be plenty of small charters out of Cairns , but am a bit concerned at what a 'decent drive "  to Port Douglas is , I'll have a look . Overall though it doesn't seem the ideal location to catch my first GT , I just had the opportunity to be there for a week . Perhaps somewhere such as Fiji or Vanuatu might be a better option.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2014, 06:42:51 AM
It isn't that much of a drive from Cairns to Port Douglas. It's about one hours drive. I've done it a few dozen times and I would suggest the GT fishing is significantly better. Don't necessarily think it will be easier in Fiji or Vanuatu.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Daniel Neumann

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2014, 10:03:18 AM
Give Ecosportfisher a try.

I was in Cairns with a mate who had never done any GT fishing about a year ago who wanted to catch one.

We did a day trip with Ecosportfisher.  He will pick you up anywhere in Cairns and take you out.

Think we went out from the Russell river and threw poppers at reef edges.

Got a few up to 20kg.

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 19, 2014, 04:39:49 PM
An hours drive wouldn't be so bad - I was imagining an all day drive , I'll google the operators mentioned .
Many thanks .

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 19, 2014, 04:49:35 PM
Checked out Ecosports fisher and Fafun , both look like they'd be worth a try , how seasonal is the Gt fishing there  ( I'll be over hopefully in May  ) ?