Viacheslav Kokorin

• Fusilier
  • Fishing experience 36 years
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishing on Maldives 10-13 of March
March 16, 2014, 05:06:48 AM
Hello guys!
From the 9th to the 13th of March 2014 I was fishing on Maldives.  As anglers there were two of us -  me and my friend (it was his first fishing trip, so I had to also teach him while fishing) arrived to the airport where a representative of the Sailfish charter met us and led to the boat, a 48" catamaran, standing in 200 m from the Airport. We came up the board and at the same time the guys welcomed us with a glass of local natural juice, I must admitt that the captain and his assistant did a great job: we moved from island to island, from reef to reef, searching for the desired fish. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper were cooked by the assistant (the guy cooks as a professional chief cooker!!)
Day 1 -  I had 12 fish outs and nearly 7 attacks, on the 1st day on the 1st reef I caught 2 small Gts (4 and 6 kg). Then desided to change a popper for slider stick bait and in a few tries I caught that beautiful grouper and after that day of fishing we stopped for the night.
Day 2 -  in the morining we continued fishing, the second day was also intensive, there we outs and attacks, the most memorizing moment was when we came to a reef a started catching and in a few metres there appeared a GT, he had been following the popper for 20 m and caught it in the last moment in 2 m near the boat, but it was not a big GT - near 5-6 kg. In 100m I caught a beautiful GT (electronic scales I could not fix it weight, as they were limited with 25 kg line). This night we slept on the boat in a marvelous place.
Day 3 - In the morning waiting for the new successful fishing day I was very surprised with an extremely strong wind and we had to change the route. Were trying to fish from the inner sides of the reef, this day was not sucessful for me. When we appriached the 1st reef on the first throw the fish in a few seconds let down 30 m of the line and then I had a cut. I prepared shock leader once again and desided to catch on stick bait, caught 1 small red snapper. Moving further I saw a big GT and an attack. After 5 minutes of fishing the fish went away. When I took the bait out of water I was surprised that owner STD-66 4/0 was straightned as a result the fish was gone. I was in a dispare... the wind became stronger and the fishing was over and we had to move to Male as we were far enoght.
Day 4 - Moving to Male we were trying to fish, on one of the reef there were a few snappers, they were following the popper but no attacks. I changed a popper for stickbait I caught one red snapper. Taking into account that not much time was left we finished our fishing.
Result of 4 days:
- 5 Gts
- 1 grouper
- 3 red snappers

Rods: Patriot Design Black Diamond 77, Carpenter MH 80 H.
Reels: Daiwa Saltiga Dogfight Z6500H, Shimano Stella SW 14000, Shimano Stella SW 20000
Luhres Fisherman: Jackal 160, SPop HP Tail 160, 200, Stickbait Fisherman 110 stripped

Nature can't be cheated...but it is worth trying

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Fishing on Maldives 10-13 of March
March 18, 2014, 08:26:37 AM
Some nice captures Viacheslav! Please keep up the GT traveling  8)

Viacheslav Kokorin

• Fusilier
  • Fishing experience 36 years
  • Liked:
Re: Fishing on Maldives 10-13 of March
March 18, 2014, 08:47:07 PM
Thank you very much Luke! Next trip to Maldives is soon. I will post a report after coming.
Nature can't be cheated...but it is worth trying