Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello,

How do you guys transport your tackle like reels - poppers/stickbats etc etc in a airplane?
Do you pack everything in a suitcase or a big bag. On my last trip i put my jigs taped on a stick by my rods
In the rod case. The other tackle i put in a suitcase. But there is allways the problem overweight.
Today i walked in a shoppingmall and saw the duffelbags from the nortface for example. Those are quiet big and do not weight a lot.

So what is your guys thinking about a suitcase vs duffelback for caring your tackle?

Best regards,

Arnout.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I use a sturdy soft holdall for check in. This is always plastic wrapped at the airport.  Nothing very fragile goes in there.  Saves weight versus a hard-shell suitcase.

Reel bodies go in my hand luggage, spools in the check-in bag.  The hand luggage is normally a deck bag.

I don't like putting anything heavy or hard in the rod case but pack out any excess space around the rod bundle with clothing.

Have used this Shimano bag for check in for years now (on my second one).

Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:13:56 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
When weight is at a premium, I use an Ortleib duffle bag. It weighs something like 800g but is tough and strong. You just got to know how to pack it

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
That looks like a really nice bag Brandon.  Looking at their website.... which size is yours please?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think it is the 85 litre one
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I use a North Face Base Camp duffel in XL to pack my clothes and all lures, hooks, line, terminals.  Of course, this is checked luggage.  They also make the bag in smaller versions (L, M, S).  I carry-on my reels in a large Kelty backpack with other essentials.  So, I only need 3 pieces of luggage to go anywhere in the world: the duffel, rod case, and carry-on Kelty backpack.

Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:02:22 AM by Dan Hanon

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
When weight is at a premium, I use an Ortleib duffle bag. It weighs something like 800g but is tough and strong. You just got to know how to pack it

Sorry Brandon to correct you here when weight is paramount this bag is in fact 1360grams

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello,

At my last 2 trips i used a remowa suitcase. It is 6 kg heavy. it,s is a strong suitcase that does,t break open
like my last samsonite. when it was loaded it was 30kg that was in both times 7kg to heavy. i had to pay 100 euro,s
per flight for it. so that is quiet a lot of money.

So now i am thinking shall i buy a duffel back for next trip or just take a extra suitcase for the trip.
It will cost money anyway.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:

Ivan Kerley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I use a lightweight suitacse Arnout and I un-roll my HPA lure roll and stand it up inside the case for extra stability. I will put my jigs a plastic tube in with my rods in a Nature Boys rod carrier. Reels in a rucksac that I take as carry on. When the airline is over zealous on weight I will put a few extra items in the pockets of a jacket(with large pockets) and then transfer to rucksac after security.

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello,

So a lot of people take a bag to cary there tackle.
When i have time i will have a better look at a local outdoor
shop for a bag.

Best regards,

Arnout.