Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Member Intro
July 22, 2008, 06:37:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a new member to the site and just wanted to say g'day. Even though this is my first post I have already found some of the forum useful in looking at some gear to buy etc.

I am a complete newb in that I have never thrown a large popper in anger, but got a bit addicted to light tackle popper fishing in Weipa a while back and have been itching to try this sort of stuff. In general I have neglected my love of fishing over the last 6 or 7 years due to work etc, and frankly I have had enough and want to get back into it again.

I have just bought a Shimano T-Curve GT special and have a Ripple Fisher 79L on the way. They will be loaded up with a pair of stellas (one a 10000 with 20000 spool, one my 20000). I was going to load the t-Curve with 100lb braid and the RF with 130lb. Does anyone see a problem with that? I know the t-curve is rated to PE8 but I have read in some forums that most people think that is a fair understatement, and I have been told its not worth fishing less than 100lb at Shoalwater and New Cal.

I am hoping they will help me get stuck into some serious fish with Nomad at Shoalwater Bay in Feb 09 and New Cal in April 09 (my first two poppering trips).

Anyway, its been great already reading the forums and I look forward to more of it.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: New Member Intro
July 22, 2008, 06:49:57 PM
welcom to the forum, Scott
You will have no issue fishing the rods as you are suggesting.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 22, 2008, 06:53:02 PM
Not wrong there ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 22, 2008, 06:56:58 PM
Mate you're already half way there to landing some good GT's. Those combos sound great, good luck at Shoalwater and New Cal in '09.