Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader connections?
July 10, 2008, 12:32:08 PM
Hi people, just wondering what is the best way of connecting mono leaders (both twisted and single) to a bimini double?

The picture below was one I found somewhere on this site I think, and I have tried it (not under extreme loads though yet), but found it to be a bit lopsided after it's been tightened. Am I tying it wrong? 

Also, what's a relatively simple way of connecting a heavy single strand leader to braid? I normally would revert to an albright knot, but when tied on heavy lines, it seems to catch on the guides a bit too much, so preferably the knot I'm looking for should travel through the rod guides pretty well.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Angus

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Leader connections?
July 11, 2008, 01:12:26 PM
The knot in the above pic shouldn't be lop sided if it's been tied correctly. It should pull down nice and evenly. There was a pic here of what the finished knot should look like.

Most heavy single strand leaders are connected via a PR or FG knot. They are very slim and extremely strong when tied correctly but they are relatively time consuming to tie.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 11, 2008, 01:24:19 PM
Cheers Jay, I suspected I might have been doing that loop-to-loop connection wrongly....certainly wouldn't be the first time ;)

My concern with those PR or FG knots is that they are not only hard to learn, but I doubt I'd be capable of doing them quickly or in a rocking boat with limited space. Any quicker or simpler options?

Cheers
Angus

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 11, 2008, 11:02:39 PM
I have not had any problem with the 'Slim Beauty'.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 12, 2008, 04:45:16 PM
cheers Greg, will practise that....shouldn't be as difficult to learn as those hideous PR/FG thingys.  ;)

PS.  Jay, I practiced that loop-to-loop join last night, and found I had previously been doing it completely wrong. All sorted now, and it's given me great confidence. Thumbs up.
Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:09:01 PM by Angus Hulme