Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tyrnos 12
August 28, 2008, 09:41:04 PM
G'day folks
I am after some advice on this reel. According to the specs on Shimano Australia website its rated 33lb of drag while retaining freespool and cranks 35" of line per turn. The spool is very narrow. I played with one today in a shop and it feels very stable cranking while going through the jigging motions. I also find the lever drag feature and price very attractive.

Has anyone tried this reel for jigging?

By my calculations it will take 300m+ of PE5. Has anyone used this reel at drag settings higher then it would face in its regular game fishing role?

Is there any disadvantage to this reel that is not imediatly obvious to me?

The 2 speed version is only $60 more then the single speed. Would the more complicated mechanicals be a disadvantage and a hinderence when trying to extract the maximum performance from this reel?

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Tyrnos 12
August 29, 2008, 11:41:15 PM
Got the 12 today. Feels wicked.....will report back after using it

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 30, 2008, 08:02:18 AM
Hi Rohit.
I had similar thoughts in mind as the spec and construction on the Tyrnos appear to have the goods. I use a 30 for trolling and that reel has been very good. Let us know how you go.
Cheers

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 06, 2008, 06:50:57 PM
Hi Rohit.
I had similar thoughts in mind as the spec and construction on the Tyrnos appear to have the goods. I use a 30 for trolling and that reel has been very good. Let us know how you go.
Cheers
Any feedback on this Rohit??

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2008, 06:15:12 PM
Wish I could say yes mate, been so busy pumping out rod after rod that I havent had time to build one for this lil beastie as I want to make it something extra special with some extra attention. Wont be long now though. I do have some trips to the kingy grounds lined up.

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2008, 03:48:14 PM
Does the Tyrnos 12 have instant anti-reverse?

Cheers
Ian

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2008, 10:32:43 PM
The catalogue lists it as an alternating twin pawl anit reverse. There is buggerall backplay though. Could this cause an issue that I hadnt thought of yet? Was drooling over a 197, 30Z and TS16N today looking for a higher end reel for the next purchase incase the tyrnos didnt handle as nicely as I expected. The TS16N is lovely but an iffy  colour. I do like the look of the 30Z though. Both are similar price range. Heres to hoping the tyrnos works a charm and I can save my money to spend on a CTE200DC that I fall in love with  ;D . Be wicked for a planned barra trip

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2008, 06:54:57 PM
Hi Rohit. Considered an Ocea Jigger?
I just got a 5000P with a Valley Hill Mogi Special rod. Easy to jig with. The Torsa runs a 5.8 to 1 retrieve so you may find it tiring.
My mate has a Torsa 30 on a Mogi Special and I tell you what, I am glad I bought the Ocea as it is a lot easier to work. The Torsa feels bullet proof though but then so does the Ocea.
Cheaper reel award in my opinion goes to the Saltist. My 50 has lasted 3 years without a hiccup and caught everything from coral trout to wahoo. Never missed a beat and still runs the original drag. Bought myself a Saltist 30T last week as a back up. Can't go wrong I reckon.

MikeOsborn

October 23, 2008, 06:45:27 AM
are you going to change out the tiny handle on that tyrnos12?