Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jewell Reef 2008
November 05, 2008, 08:31:10 AM
I forgot to mention - that poor black trout is no more - the reason it looks so out of it is because Damon hit it with the propeller!     :D

Sweet report Brandon. Really got a sense of the hectic magic session!! Nothing like it when you get a follow at least on every cast! That black trout looks hardcore. Well done.

Any chance Konishi or Mogi will write up a report of this trip as well?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 05, 2008, 09:53:34 AM
Top read and photo's as always Brandon.
Talk about making the most out of the conditions..

Cheers Dave.  :)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 05, 2008, 07:34:00 PM
Gosh...What can you say about all that... :-\

Only one word 'Awesome'. 8)

Love the photo of that Maori Wrasse...What a fish..!!!
Loved the photo of him locked up on the bow too.. :D

Great read Brandon.

Pete

jay currie

November 16, 2008, 07:46:16 PM
Awesome report with some great pics. I am booking a nomad trip for 2010 my only problem is im not quite shore wich reef to visit i was thinking the jewell but i dont see many doggies in your report is this due to the bad weather? Wich reef do you recomend? i am keen on big doggies and poppering for gt's but also would like a wide range of species marlin, wahoo, yellowfin ect.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 16, 2008, 08:21:34 PM
Jay, a lot of people understandably want everything when they go out on a Nomad charter but that isn't really realistic. If conditions and tides are right and everything falls into place, Nomad will get you onto some amazingly hot action but it isn't like the fish out there never stop biting. I've had some very quiet sessions in the past which have been offset by the odd amazing session.

There are locations which are good for GTs and locations which are good for doggies and then locations where you have a chance of a wide range of fish but to want to go on a charter with the expectation of catching GTs, doggies, wahoo, yellowfin, and even marlin, I'm not sure I am game to make a recommendation.

jay currie

November 16, 2008, 08:28:14 PM
Thanks for your reply Brandon i understand what you are saying i know no matter were you are or what you do some times the fish just arn't interested. With the trip i am trying to cater for a range of mates so was trying to pick the best reef for this, alot want gt's and then as much as i would love to get amongst some big gt's i am even keener to get big doggies and yellow fin tuna.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 16, 2008, 09:29:09 PM
there are few areas where big yellowfin can be targeted domestically these days. The run during the 80s down in the south coast of NSW seems to have disappeared. You will find the odd yellowfin school out at reefs like Marion, Wreck, Kenn etc but they are unlikely to be big fish and they're probably best targeted by trolling.

if you want doggies, it's Diamond Islet but that's about all you would go to Diamond Islet for. You will find GTs there too but it isn't the best popping destination from what I have gathered. You'll get a good combination at Jewell and if you want to spend a day or two chasing marlin, I'm sure Damon can cater for that but what that means is you're trolling all day for marlin.

In trying to cater for different tastes within a group, you're not really focussing on anything in particular. I always feel you're best off focussing on a target fish and planning for it accordingly.
Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:24:36 AM by Brandon Khoo

Pat Victorino

November 17, 2008, 04:39:15 AM
Awesome report with some great pics. I am booking a nomad trip for 2010 my only problem is im not quite shore wich reef to visit i was thinking the jewell but i dont see many doggies in your report is this due to the bad weather? Wich reef do you recomend? i am keen on big doggies and poppering for gt's but also would like a wide range of species marlin, wahoo, yellowfin ect.

Hi Jay,

As Brandon said if your main target is doggies i would take my chances at Diamond Islets.I believe 31 doggies were landed over 50kg in two weeks of fishing there with a lot more lost.I had the opportunity to fish there in december of 2007 and really enjoyed the company,pampering and professionalism of the nomad crew.On the GT scene,i didn't land a single one while popping.From talking to the captains at nomad the fish were biting a bit better the week before with some GT'S landed.If u prefer more variety i would definately choose another reef to visit.

Santosh Shanmuga

November 17, 2008, 12:35:03 PM
Amazing report Brandon. Just makes me want to go there even more!!!!