Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pilbara 15-3-09
March 18, 2009, 08:51:48 PM
Managed to get out last Sunday. Weather looked a bit iffy in the morning but the arvo was expected to calm off so we made the call. When I woke up at 4am it was a bit blowy and the trip out was a bit choppy but it was worth it. First off we tried a spot that's produced a few fish in the past. After half a dozen casts each and no hits we moved on to a spot that's been extremely reliable for us. First cast and my Orion stickbait was scoffed within seconds. Came up trumps with an average sized GT and not bad start for the morning.

Brads turn was next and on his first cast he got slammed by something big but failed to hookup. Next cast and he hooked onto a Spaniard around the 20kg mark that got airborne and cut off his GT2. Damn. Several minutes later after re rigging we noticed it floating on the surface about 50m away. Score.

Had a few more casts in this area then moved along to another spot where we've hooked plenty of fish. After a few casts Brad got a MASSIVE hit in extremely shallow water that probably would have resulted in the loss of his GT2 again. Luckily for his sake he didn't hook up.

The wind started to blow steadily out of the east and our drift along the island was perfect. Before long, Brad had another good hit and this time he connected. After a good fight we landed the second GT for the day.

It went a little quiet for a while but we continued to fish around the same area. I got another hookup right on the edge of some shallow water and managed to extract the fish. Landed our 3rd GT for the day.

We continued to pop hoping for some more GTs. Brad had two coral trout repeatedly try and snatch his lure at the same time until eventually one of them hooked up.

We decided to head over to another island where we've got some good fish at over the past few weeks. Unfortunately I think the tide had started to slow too much and there were no fish to be seen. There was no bait around but we persisted for a while before heading home. Calmed off like it had forecasted and it was a great ride home. All in all a good day on the water and happy with the GTs we got.

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Pilbara 15-3-09
March 18, 2009, 09:57:35 PM
some solid fish there mate, i am jealous as i am stuck in the dessert working.
PoPpInG mAd

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
 Top report, very nice fish and great camera work!

cheers Dave  ;D

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 08:36:25 AM
Thanks for the report Jay, I remain deeply deeply jealous of people who can do this sort of fishing in their local areas....great photos too, that one of the trout, wow, I felt like I could reach out and touch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 09:08:43 AM
nice one Joay, that second fish is a stonker. 

That craftbait of yours is a real favourite isn't it?  I see you tried the baker rig on the belly, did you have them zip tied or attached together somehow or swinging free like that?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 07:07:34 PM
nice one Joay, that second fish is a stonker. 

That craftbait of yours is a real favourite isn't it?  I see you tried the baker rig on the belly, did you have them zip tied or attached together somehow or swinging free like that?

Yeah I love my GT2s  ;D

I had it cable tied but it broke during the fight. If you have them swing free you're forever untangling them.

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 08:07:25 PM
Jay,

Nice report, great pics & fish mate. But i am still curious on your leader setup mate, any chance of an explanation please mate?

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 19, 2009, 08:27:08 PM
Nice one Jay, great pics of some great looking fish. I've fancied the peacock bass crafts for some time, nice to see them getting results I'll have to grab one soon.
You guys obviously have some great spots over there, looking forward to exploring there soon.
 Nice report thanks.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 08:42:59 PM
Quality fish there alright.

Top stuff Jay. 8)

Pete

Colin P

March 19, 2009, 09:26:06 PM
Good report, good fish, good camera work - the pic of the second GT is stunning.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2009, 10:50:59 PM
Jay,

Nice report, great pics & fish mate. But i am still curious on your leader setup mate, any chance of an explanation please mate?

Sorry Brock... I did see your other post but I couldn't remember the crimps we used so I put it off until I could check.

It's twisted 130lb Black Magic leader, then crimp a swivel on with 2.3mm ali crimps. Very simple and straight forward and no we've never had one slip before and this is with PE10 and over 15kg of drag. I'm pretty sure it's been done before.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 20, 2009, 02:24:53 AM
Awesome report and fantastic images Jay... strong work mate, always great stuff coming from you bro.... very nice, and yes I'm jealous as all hell in a bucket!!!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 20, 2009, 04:37:14 PM
wicked report mate amd fantastic pics!!

steve sims

March 20, 2009, 11:36:15 PM
Jay, thanks for a great report and pics!!! also very encouraging
 to see some good fish caught on this side of the continent !!
Must be tough having fish like that on your doorstep, if it was me I wouldn't get much work done!!!