Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shoalwater Bay 7/2/09 - 15/2/09
February 19, 2009, 07:29:47 PM
Haha, some of my best friends are rangas ;D

How did you find the 79 reversal, did you find it much different to the PF or H versions nomad had on board.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Neale Bird

February 19, 2009, 07:46:56 PM
HAHA hey only the facial hair is red!!  :D ;D

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 19, 2009, 10:32:08 PM

Great report - nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
February 19, 2009, 11:27:10 PM

harrdy harr go the red beards !!!!

hey scott and neale just got home today man i didnt want to leave that place
     just wanted to say thanks for the great company during the week you guys are champions

also wanted to mention that we were lucky enough to fish with one of the best barra fishermen
     in the world last week too  ;) ;) cheers guy

great report scotty although i thought you might have mentioned some of the funnier things
     that happened on the trip like neale going for an un intentional swim one afternoon or when
     your line snapped under scary pressure on a fish and you flew 2 meters in the air and landed
     on the esky !!!!   ;D ;D   i guess that was only funny cause it wasnt me  :D

no seriously guys i enjoyed your company and hope that we could all have a fish together again
     sometime in the future

ps. the fishing didnt really heat up after you guys left the boys raised some good fish but
         they still only played with the poppers rather than getting angry with them that said i
         did manage to get another gt around 30kg before flying out

cheers

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 20, 2009, 08:54:35 AM
Hey Scott, great report and pics thanks.

Love the shot of the 78PF bent although it's caused me to take the day off and go fishing.

You have a shimano GT special dont you? Did you give it a workout?  How was it?

Did you fish with stickbaits at all or were the conditions not suitable?

Cheers mate.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 20, 2009, 09:30:28 AM
Hey Andy, I really liked the 79R, I found it nice to cast with and easy to work all day...it definately finds its limits on the poppers over about 160 though and it doesnt really work them well at all. The PF was a bit heavier and cast beautifully, but I think you would notice the difference casting it all day...it blooped the poppers a bit more easily

I didn't use the H but it did look a heavier stick again

Hey Darren, I didn't take my GT Special but Nomad had a number on board and I used one a few times when my rod was being re-rigged...It is obviously a strong rod and I am sure it will catch fish...that being said having used the Ripple Fishers and also the Komodo Dragon I took with me I am not sure I can go back to the GT Special and will probably look to move it on to someone who will use it...it didn't cast anywhere near as nice as the Reversal and I dont think it would make much of a stickbait rod

We didn't use stickbaits a lot but at one stage when we  though the fish were holding a bit deeper I put on a Dogtooth 150 and that is what I got my 25kg GT on...the reversal worked that lure quite well....Neale also tried a squid pen at one stage which looked seeeexxxxy but went back to a popper I think after a few hours

Hey John good to hear you got another one...sorry I didn't put in more non-fishing detail I was a bit pressed for time but really just wanted to get something up....if you are interested in a more full report you can check one out at

www.sydneyangler.com.au  which is a Sydney forum I am a member of, but I think you will have to join up

Hey John thanks for not mentioning that after I flew through the air and hit the esky (my right shoulder is still sore) I threw my rod into the corner of the boat and yelled obscenities at it....the Reversal and I have made up now however and it is talking to me again

As for Neale how scared was that Queenie? What I should have put in the post and didn't is that we were cruising over to a Queenie we had released which was floating, to try and swim it for a bit, when Neale climbed out onto the swimboard without Glan knowing....Glan was gonna miss the spot so he gunned the engine....in when Neale, rod and all! He had the presence of mind to hand me his rod, then we all pissed ourselves laughing.....oh, and the Queenie got such a fright that Neale was coming for a swim with it that it swum off no worries  :D