paulymassy

PE 6 what is your preference?
May 27, 2009, 09:18:53 PM
hey guys,
just wondering what your prefence in line is when it comes to PE6?

thanks,
paul

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PE 6 what is your preference?
May 28, 2009, 06:50:27 AM
For popping Tuf Line XP seems to be in favour in a range of sizes.  I use it and it's served me very well, no problems at all - plus it's reasonably cost effective.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 28, 2009, 07:32:49 AM
Hi Paul,

I agree with Travis tuf line XP is great stuff.  Tough and good value.  Its also very well behaved.  Varivas in PE6 will add a few yards to your cast as its thinner...there might be a slightly higher incidence of the line wrapping round the butt ring with Varivas though (I think just because its so limp).  As another choice you could look at Tuf Line guides choice (Hollow) or Jerry Brown Hollowcore.  Very easy to splice to make a loop to loop with your twisty.  Very strong and smooth connection this way.

Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 28, 2009, 08:00:20 AM
Paul - I don't know whether you meant it that way but the only PE lines per se are Japanese lines. The American brands use breaking strain, not the PE scale. I'll assume you're asking about braid in general.

With braid, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. Having tried most lines on the market, I'd suggest that Varivas GT casts the best and feels the nicest to use. On the downside, I don't feel it is as "tough" a line as TF XP or FINS.

The cost of Varivas GT in comparison to other lines can be hard to justify, in my view. That said, I have to admit it is on the large majority of my spools  ::)

Lately, I've been trying the Jerry Brown solid spectra in 100lb and have been impressed with it. In fact, I may be retiring the Varivas in this poundage but I want to use the JB solid for another couple of trips yet. The JB is a little stiffer than the Varivas but it casts very nicely - and it's cheap in comparison
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 28, 2009, 12:15:22 PM
Ive got 2 spools with Varivas Big Tune PE 6, which is an awesome line to use as it breaks up to 84lb. One the cheaper side Ive also been using Sunline DeepOne PE 6 which is 70lb max and its more that amble for most kinds of fishing in Perth. Otherwise a good cheaper alternative PE is the YGK Jigman Ultra or Castman Ultra which are both 8ply PE lines.