Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Koh samui tackle
May 18, 2009, 09:11:23 PM
I'm heading to Koh Samui at the end of june. Wondering if any of you guys know if there are any land based options on the island, and if any of the ofshore tours  are worth going on. Not sure if I should be packing the jigging, lure/poppering gear or just gear for the giant catfish in the freshwater impoundment.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Koh samui tackle
May 18, 2009, 10:10:38 PM
Not many fish left in The Bay of Siam , to go jigging n popping one must go to the other side of the Kra Isthmus and fish the Burma Bank .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 07:52:56 AM
I hope you're going there for a holiday, not for the fishing.
Based on what Jon said, it sounds like the freshwater impoundments are the go!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 08:39:03 AM
Koh Samui...hmm, have a look at this report before booking onto any "Big Game Fishing" tours  ;) -> http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27459

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 08:55:40 AM
that was fantastic - and I loved the way he wrote it up too!!  :D
mind you, 1700 baht is something like $60 so I wouldn't have been expecting wonders

Lee Younan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 03:42:50 PM
I know this website is mainly For GT fishing but i thought this advice might be handy.

If you get the oppurtunity i would highly recommend fishing a freshwater impoundment.
I have personally fished one in bangkok and another not far from Krabi.

Bangkok is mainly stocked with mekong catfish and arent hard to catch if you have a guide, gear is relatively crappy there so if it is an option i would take my own, these catfish do pull hard.

The Krabi impoundment is definately a much better option for fishing and variety, stocking things from siamese carp to barramundi and giant arryapaima. the gear is also much better at the Krabi impoundment.

From what i can gather highly populated regions of thailand and popular Holiday destinations have had the surrounding ocean totally stripped of any worth while fish, so if your heading there just for a holiday and wouldnt mind having a fish i would suggest these impoundments but if your heading there on a fishing holiday i would put in alot more research and try find a more remote location.

Although the fishing is better at the Krabi impoundment the bangkok impoundment is where the seven seas shop is located so i love going there to stock up on my Jai Poppers.

Photo 1 Is a Giant arrypaima from the Ktabi Impoundment.

Photo 2, 3, and 4 are all photos from the Bangkok impoundment.

I hope i could have been of help

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 04:55:45 PM
Giant freshwater stingrays near Bangkok could be an option - i bet they pull bloody hard but good luck getting one on a popper  :D

http://www.fishsiam.com/package-details.php?id=13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVfPF11FaOg#noexternalembed

Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:59:32 PM by travis heaps

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 05:21:44 PM
Love to tackle some of those weird fishes!!!

Halezan Hassan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 09:56:54 PM
Since Malaysia is just nearby, why not drop by and get 1 or 2 days popping/casting for Sailfish at Pekan? I strongly recommend this than wasting your time with super gear fishing for small under 500g fish  ;D. Do let me know if you keen and I can share you contact of 400HP speed boat owner here.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 01:40:46 AM
Yeah I wasn't surprised at all when I read that "big game fishing" review. I didn't find a boat with anything over a 20hp car motor on board in my web searches. The whole point was a just for a holiday anyway so I'm not too fussed. My pick of Tonga was defeated by the senate. Think I'll just hit the UK carp sites and learn how to catch a big freshwater mud eating slug instead - actually PLAT has some crazy looking carp gear that I might have to investigate.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 01:39:44 PM
c'mon Sam - some of those fish that were on the kayay fishing forum were pretty cute! They'd be about the right size for a small aquarium