Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Shimano Twinpower SW
March 09, 2009, 08:41:46 AM
I see stocks of the new Twinpower SW have now started to hit the shelves in Japan. The specs on the reels are pretty impressive and the biggest model, the 12000HG, has the same line capacity as the Stella 10000XG.

maximum drag of 22kg.  :o

Contrary to popular opinion that this was really a rebadged previous generation Stella, the reel if anything, is based on the 08 Stella. Quite a few of the parts are interchangeable with the Stella and the spools are even compatible up to 6000 size.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: New Shimano Twinpower SW
March 09, 2009, 11:58:08 AM
Brandon, dumb question from a GT newbie- in your opinion is this reel suitable for GT popping over a period of time? Is there much price difference between it and the stella?

In a couple of months I will purchase a GT reel, and want to make an informed decision. Thats why I was jokingly hassling you in those other threads for a review of stella V's saltiga.. ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2009, 01:30:15 PM
Geoff, I can't answer that question as I haven't used the reel msyelf but on paper, the specs are very impressive and I cannot imagine Shimano would have put a reel out that was not up to fishing the drag it has built into it.

i had previously thought the reel was going to largely be a rebadged FA Stella but I'm wrong. The reel has the same drag system and gears as the 08 Stella. It even has the same spool design as the 08 Stella.

In terms of pricing, there is a significant difference in price between the Stella and the Twinpower

i don't know if the reel is going to be an export model. Maybe Luke can answer that.

you won't get a reaction out of me on the Stella/Saltiga debate!

Brandon, dumb question from a GT newbie- in your opinion is this reel suitable for GT popping over a period of time? Is there much price difference between it and the stella?

In a couple of months I will purchase a GT reel, and want to make an informed decision. Thats why I was jokingly hassling you in those other threads for a review of stella V's saltiga.. ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

PeterD

March 10, 2009, 06:55:07 PM
Interesting i have been eyeing off a Twinpower but i might hold off a bit to see if they get released over here.

Have you heard anything about these coming over Luke?

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 10, 2009, 10:27:45 PM
I'm definately on for a 12000 for PE6.

Means I can sell my "old" Stella 10000 and take 300g out of the equation.

Always thought the body of the Stella 10K looked big in comparison to the spool size.. This new body size seems to be a definate improvement for lighter PE..

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 11, 2009, 10:43:04 AM
We are looking at this model but at the moment I cannot comment whether it is a yes or a no.

It may become an export model, just remember that these days - there is negligible difference if none at all between some of the high-end reels. Most of the time it is a case of feature trademarks and registrations that need to be changed - thus an export model.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 18, 2009, 06:17:09 AM
Just got a smaller 4000 one for my UK / Eu bass fishing delviered today - very well made and first impressions are good - going to take the plunge and buy the 12000 for popping ... will let you know how it goes!

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 20, 2009, 06:32:30 PM
I have photos of the new Twinpower that we took when we were in Japan at the Tackle show.  I will try to find the USB and post them up.

Janelle

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 21, 2009, 08:05:16 PM
got some pics of the 4000 if anybody wants to see em' - awaiting delivery of the 12000 now ...

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2009, 11:48:14 PM
Got the 12000 spooled up and ready to go - can lock the drag down until I can barely move the spool at all - haven't got anything to hand to measure scientifically :o

Just about ready to rock and roll in the Seychelles in a week :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 11:08:54 AM
Good luck Alex!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
May 23, 2009, 02:05:56 PM
Good Collection there mate,hope you dont lose to many poppers to the rugged reef..
Good luck!! ;)

Sheldon Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 25, 2009, 05:13:43 PM
Let us know how it works out.... :)

I am seriously considering it also.

Btw, is it spooled with 60lbs Tuffline??

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 25, 2009, 11:34:03 PM
Thanks guys - went for 65lbs tufline although have a spare spool of 80lbs just in case!