Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Preventing corrosion on your spools
February 19, 2009, 04:20:21 PM
The link which Colin provided to the Jerry Brown site revealed some useful information. On the site, it recommends the following to prevent corrosion on the spool of you reel:

If you're the type who thinks that all you need to do at the end of a trip is rinse your spool and put it away, you might be in for an awful shock one day. I've found corrosion under the braid and mono of my spools on a number of occasions in the past and these days, I religiously remove the braid from my reels and soak it in fresh water. I also then rinse the spools off and let them dry before putting all the line back on. I'll also try the suggestion above from Jerry Brown.

I was wondering whether anyone uses any other chemical or material to safeguard against corrosion?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Preventing corrosion on your spools
February 19, 2009, 05:11:00 PM
I use silicon spray but on top of that , I run the used portion of the line in spool thru freshwater soaked wet towel to get rid off the salt particles , so far the corrosion has been minimized .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 19, 2009, 07:05:57 PM
I give my new reels/spools a good soaking spray with Innox and let them sit for a day or two, before spooling up I simply wipe off the excess residue (usually not much) Every time I respool I do the same. On some of my smaller reels I have had the same line on for 2-3 years and after lots of use still only the odd bit of pitting. Pretty good considering my usual after trip clean-up means rinsing in the shower and the odd spray with Innox...I never take the line off the small ones:-[

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2009, 03:29:48 PM
Inox all the way for me.

Always wipe my reels with a wet rag to remove salt...Then lightly rinse the line under a tap.
Then spray my reels all over lightly with inox.
Never had trouble with corrosion at all using this method.

Pete

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 25, 2009, 04:46:48 PM
I have been using Lanox, the related product of Inox, for some time now, as recommended by Neil Griffiths of Jones Tackle. I also use Lanox generally to lubricate my reels. The procedure for my spools is pretty much as Chris Young described, although I do use warm soapy water before rinsing them off under the tap.

I have been meaning to also use a line conditioner, which I must track down.

Brandon, is there a particular technique you use when removing your braid and soaking it in fresh water? Do you, for example, feed the line directly into a bucket of water or do you transfer it loosely onto another (plastic?) spool befor soaking?

Matt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 25, 2009, 05:11:40 PM
Hi Matt - I put it onto a plastic spool. I use a spool which is intended for fly lines (I think) and it works great.

That Varivas line conditioner which I use feels like Armourall!

I have been using Lanox, the related product of Inox, for some time now, as recommended by Neil Griffiths of Jones Tackle. I also use Lanox generally to lubricate my reels. The procedure for my spools is pretty much as Chris Young described, although I do use warm soapy water before rinsing them off under the tap.

I have been meaning to also use a line conditioner, which I must track down.

Brandon, is there a particular technique you use when removing your braid and soaking it in fresh water? Do you, for example, feed the line directly into a bucket of water or do you transfer it loosely onto another (plastic?) spool befor soaking?

Matt

If it swims; I want to catch it!

PeterD

February 27, 2009, 07:58:28 AM
The link which Colin provided to the Jerry Brown site revealed some useful information. On the site, it recommends the following to prevent corrosion on the spool of you reel:

If you're the type who thinks that all you need to do at the end of a trip is rinse your spool and put it away, you might be in for an awful shock one day. I've found corrosion under the braid and mono of my spools on a number of occasions in the past and these days, I religiously remove the braid from my reels and soak it in fresh water. I also then rinse the spools off and let them dry before putting all the line back on. I'll also try the suggestion above from Jerry Brown.

I was wondering whether anyone uses any other chemical or material to safeguard against corrosion?

Thats a good idea. So simple but some thing that i never thought of. Thanks for the tip Brandon

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 30, 2009, 07:43:34 PM
Dagging an old thread up as I found a pit on the spool of my catalina 4500. I rinse the braid after each trip, and use the line conditioner as well, but obviously not enough and now that I have taken it off I can see the pit. Not happy. I have placed epoxy over it for now and see how it goes.

Does anyone use something like salt-x or salt away to rinse the braid while on the spool?

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 30, 2009, 08:10:09 PM
Brandon - What do you use to take your line off & on your spools? I gather you do it yourself at home.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 01, 2009, 10:41:49 AM
I spray tackle guard or similar on the spool before spooling up and liberally spray the same on the line while spooling especially on the bottom third of the spool. This is the bit that you do not often get the line to unless the fish is XOS or a large tuna or wahoo. The spool is rinsed liberally after each use and sprayed with more tackle guard or WD40 after each use. So far no corrosion at all on my reels.

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 01, 2009, 12:36:26 PM
After reading this thread I went searching for something cheap to use to take the braid of my reels so I could wash it.  What I came up with was a garden hose winder - the one I got is made of steel but is coated with plastic.  It has a large diameter and width so it is not too hard to get the line off, and there is plenty of exposure of the line to get the salt out when washing.  You need a bit of help when reloading the line back onto the reel though.  One of the welds failed but I quickly fixed that with some string and 5 minute araldite.  The best thing about it was the cost - $10 from BigW!!!

Cheers,
Simon

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2009, 07:07:04 AM
I worked out I could use my alvey. Spool it up onto that...rinse, then wind back on against some drag once its dried out.