Grant Marshbank

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maldives
July 16, 2009, 11:08:30 PM
Hi All,

My first post on this great forum - Hi there!

I'm going to Club Med on Kani Island in the Maldives in October '09.  I'm a lure throwing enthusiast and plan to fish poppers and soft plastics for GT's.  If I get a few, I'd like to have a shot at a doggie or two on jig.

Anybody with any experience on fishing the waters around the Kani resort?

Thanks in advance,
Grant 

Mark Cornall

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Maldives
July 19, 2009, 10:48:54 PM
Grant,

I havent been to Kani before but have fished near there a few times. The fishing is not as good as some of the remote areas of the country but there is still some good fish to be had.

First thing is in case you are not aware you are not allowed to fish from any resort in the Maldives. Most resorts will offer various forms of fishing but they can be expensive and the experience is often disapointing for experienced anglers.

I suggest you contact the resort and find out what the costs are and what they offer. I see in my resort guide Kani resort offers big game fishing as an activity however big game fishing in some resorts means trolling a handline behind a tradition boat (dhoni). Doesnt mean they dont catch big fish but might not be the method you are expecting.

If the resort has nothing that meets your expectations then there are a couple of companies hiring boats from Male (The capital). I can send you the details if you require it.

Mark

Grant Marshbank

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Maldives
July 22, 2009, 04:52:19 PM
Thanks for the response Mark.  You are spot on - one cannot fish from the main island.  There is however a small island nearby within swimming distance  :D where one can fish!  A mate got a 12 kilo GT there in May!  Would love a decent GT and a bonus doggie.

Could you please send me the details of charter options from Male?  As you said, the resort charters are very expensive!
Thanks!