Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
After what happened to Jay's rod on the recent trip to Bugatti, I thought this thread might be useful as I have noted that most people don't wax the joint of their rods. It is always a good idea to wax the joint of your rods. The wax reduces slippage very significantly and helps to keep the two pieces together with minimal movement. It is not uncommon  for a rod to slowly separate as you use it through a day. If is slips out excessively and you hook a fish, a breakage is a very likely result.

A wax stick is a very minor investment and it works very effectively. All you have to do is apply a very thin layer to the rod section of the joint. It also is quite effective in holding the two sections together if the joint has become loose after long term use. I've also found that it helps in preventing the two sections from becoming stuck together.

I've attached a photo of the two I use, Tiemco and Smith. if you can't find it, then even candle wax, although not ideal, is better than nothing.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
thanks Brandon.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

I've attached a photo of the two I use, Tiemco and Smith. if you can't find it, then even candle wax, although not ideal, is better than nothing.

Jeez, I didn't even know they made a specific wax for it.  I've always used candles and never had a problem.  Brandon are you sure these companies aren't just looking for another product to whack a "GT Tax" on? 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Stephen, absolutely no question that they are!!!   :D

The wax is a fair bit softer than candle wax and applies easier but as I said, you can use candle wax as a substitute.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hmmm makes me think of trying surfboard wax..... soft, has good grip and if the joints stick at all a quick warm up should free it up..... although it might have a melt point too low..... time to experiment as the joint in my rod is a little loose.....

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Been using candle wax on my fly rods for years, just remember you don't need much.  ;)