Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Matava - Bula Bunaka! (Feb 13-20)
March 14, 2010, 09:14:51 PM
Bula Rob.  Great report. Certainly a place that gets under the skin - stunning location, great people, great fishing. 

Bigger poppers seemed to be the go when I was there with Sami (GT3 Ultra bigmouths, Ebipop 200's and I-Cups did most of the damage).....might also have been a leaning towards darker colours too. 

Jin Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 15, 2010, 11:14:05 AM

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 15, 2010, 11:48:59 AM
Great report mate.

A mate and I are due to fly to Matava on Wednesday but with the current cyclone situation evrything is up in the air at the moment.  Flights to Nadi have been cancelled today and we won't know anything till late this arvo or tomorrow, but then there's the flight Kadavu which we don't know about.

Anyone had this problem before and got any tips?

My first dedicated GT trip and this has to happen :'(

AustralianAngling

March 15, 2010, 11:57:05 AM
Bill

Travel insurance comes in handy now as by looks of cyclone it will be cat 5 by this afternoon and all of pacific will be shut till end of week by todays map.

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 12:28:29 PM
Great report mate.

A mate and I are due to fly to Matava on Wednesday but with the current cyclone situation evrything is up in the air at the moment.  Flights to Nadi have been cancelled today and we won't know anything till late this arvo or tomorrow, but then there's the flight Kadavu which we don't know about.

I think the Fijians tend to claim disasters bigger than what they really are. We arrived after a Cat 2 Cyclone, and apart from a few palm trees down it wasn't too bad. Its the infrastructure thats the problem in Fiji. They had laid a new runway on Kadavu before we left and it was a real dodgy job and loose tarmac was spraying up into the small aircrafts engines, and so the airport was closed. The cyclone helped blow the loose tarmac and they were able to reopen.

I think you need your fingers crossed. But its all part of the experience and when you get to Matava you know you have made the right decision.

Great Report Rob

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 03:21:49 PM
Great report mate.

I recone it will be great weather from Wednesday onwards, a week of top weather comming up.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 06:25:50 PM
Flights to Kadavu were suspended indefinitely (so we were told) so we had no choice but to postpone the trip :'(

Thanks to Adrian, we have been able to re-arrange it in May. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong this time.

Adrian Watt

March 18, 2010, 11:53:09 AM
Hi Bill,
All flights operating normally from yesterday.
Whatever you do....don't look at the weather forecast for the next week....
Afraid Greg was right....  ::)

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 18, 2010, 08:32:11 PM
Que sera sera Adrian, what's done is done :).

After waiting for the past 6/7 months for the date to get here we were itching to go and it was a decision that wasn't made easily, believe me.

PS

Sorry to hijack your report Robert.