Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Perth GT info
December 30, 2009, 05:29:29 PM
Gday all and Happy New year.

Im heading to Perth in Late January and wondering about the GT options around there.

Would I have to head much furher north of Perth to get onto a decent Gt area.

And are there any Charter operators worth considering.

Thanks for any help In advance.
Darren.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Perth GT info
December 30, 2009, 06:06:47 PM
Man....wrong end of WA for GTs

You gotta be weeeeelll north. Atleast Carnarvon way to be in a chance. Otherwise Exmouth is your best option for both shore and boat action.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 30, 2009, 06:58:37 PM
Man....wrong end of WA for GTs

You gotta be weeeeelll north. Atleast Carnarvon way to be in a chance. Otherwise Exmouth is your best option for both shore and boat action.
Yeah right, My west coast geography knowledge is non-excistant but after having a look on google earth I understand .

Looking forward to my 1st visit on the west coast.
Cheers Honsu.

Rob Ciotucha

December 30, 2009, 08:44:11 PM
You still might be in with a chance at some samson fish jigging if that interests you Darren.

Cheers
Rob

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
December 30, 2009, 08:50:58 PM
or later in the year......Sambo POPPING!!

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 30, 2009, 09:40:04 PM
You still might be in with a chance at some samson fish jigging if that interests you Darren.

Cheers
Rob
Rob I was thinking that Sambos could be an option.
Can I do that out of Perth?

Maybe I could at least pack a stella 20k and borrow a charter rod if thats an option.

steve sims

December 30, 2009, 11:43:26 PM
Darren,

Perth is definately one of your best options to target Samson fish at this time of year. The last month or so fishing for Sambo's has been red hot, but  it's hard to know how long it will last for. I went out jigging a fortnight ago and between two of us accounted for 18 fish in about 3 hours averaging 25 -30 kgs. with one standout being around 40kgs.
In terms of GT's you would really want to begin  at Exmouth, that is where they start becoming more prevalent, and in terms of charters who target them I would not know who to contact as it is not something that is all that widely done here in WA.

Steve.