Kiel Hinds

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith Runboh vs Tailwalk Gunz
November 30, 2010, 01:52:32 PM
So some persons swear by the runboh while others say the gunz. For those of us like myself that are total novices, what is the real difference?
Is one better than the other at all? I'm interested in something that will cast a mile and that is fairly durable, with a good action.

Andrew Williams

Re: Smith Runboh vs Tailwalk Gunz
November 30, 2010, 02:00:46 PM
I would say gunz for the $!

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 02:22:10 PM
Orion bigfoot in the smaller sizes are also pretty hard to ignore! I'd say depending on species of fish you were targeting would be what I'd pick. They're both good lures.
AKA: Sunny

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 02:55:01 PM
Have never used a SBR but have had a Gunz pulled apart on a 30kg fish.  Didn't lose the fish which is commendable as it was a stop em or pop em kind of fight but it was still not useable after that one fish.  Nice action and cheap from memory though. 

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 03:17:15 PM
I have both Gunz and Baby Runbohs......but what Chuen has said about the orions is hard to ignore.
Orions just last so well and are able to withstand so much punishment.

Pete

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 03:32:38 PM
Kiel

I demolished 2 Tailwalks on Kings in NZ in (two fish each) that was a 160 and a 180! 

Despite that, gotta say I love 'em and just bought 4 replacements (2 of each). 

I love the action of the Runboh in the water, but haven't had the same hookup success yet as the Gunz - It does cast further than the Gunz (160) and looks a lot more durable though.

Love those Orions - they're sweet!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 06:45:03 PM
They're all good lures although as has been pointed out by Travis and Peter, the Gunz is really not that suitable for use under heavy drags. I lost a massive GT at Shoalwater on my first year there when the fish bit the lure in half. The Runbohs are an excellent lure and the original Big Runboh which is unfortunately no longer available was an excellent GT stickbait. In terms of strength of construction, the Orions are excellent. You could look at the Bigfoot or Crazy Dog in that size range.

Both the Gunz and the Runboh come in both floating and sinking version and in the case of the Orion, the Bigfoot is a sinker and the Crazy Dog is a floater

In terms of action, a lot of it comes down to the individual. If you learn about a lure and what works best for it, you'll generally find a way to swim it and catch fish with it
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Earl

December 01, 2010, 10:53:03 AM
I can back that up too. The gunz work well and attract fish but are not at all durable. Almost every one that I have seen or used has leaked, most of them after just one session. Think of them as a disposable lure, just like a paper picnic plate, use it once and it ready for the bin.

Kiel Hinds

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 01:56:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback thus far guys!! I have to admit i have been looking at those Orions as well. It says a a lot that
so many of you are mentioning those.

I want to throw another stick bait in at this point for your thoughts on as well....Shimano Ocea pencil. Does anyone have experience
with these?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 08:01:15 PM
Let me throw in a fairly new stickbait that is not too well known outside Bali circles.

The Adhek Penipen has been hugely successful in Bali waters at least. A quick glance at Adhek's own website will reveal the number of large GTs that he has caught using this lure. I have also caught a couple of very nice fish on a Penipen as have others I know. The lure works very well at the main Bali GT site where the fish are notoriously chugger shy for much of the time.

This is a floating stickbait which after a little twitch to sink it swims with a natural darting motion in the sub-surface with a steady sweeping retrieve. It comes in 3 sizes: 110, 140 and 160 grams. Personally I like the 140 best. The 110 dies a little bit when casting and the 160 is just huge. Fish have been caught on all sizes though.

As with all Adhek lures, the finish is extremely good for the price paid with both traditional and holographic options, and the wood (mahogany) as good as you will find anywhere. The wiring  is acceptable. The Penipen is not very well known as it receives little marketing - not even on the Adhek website yet!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 08:16:20 PM
I want to throw another stick bait in at this point for your thoughts on as well....Shimano Ocea pencil. Does anyone have experience
with these?

I quite like the sinking version of the Ocea Pencil but not the surface option.  Neither would be a first choice for me though.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 12:46:53 AM
Mark  just curious about the  Penipen  been searching but even a mention is  hard to come across thats for sure how well does it cast at the moment have built up a semi popping collection which is probably tiny compared to most on here however I am now starting to look at stick baits  and really interested on the casting abiltiy of this  distance is a big factor for me presently  looking  at the ultimo stickbait (assume its the same as nomad AH custome stick bait) both dont have 140 gram at the  moment  .  But  defiantly interested in alternatives i have the Adtek goby and its great  any idear where to track one down would be great

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 10:57:42 AM
Gareth, I am not sure the Penipen is available in Australia. Anyone know for sure?

It casts nicely in the 140 and 160 sizes. The small 110 does die a bit when cast on PE8 and PE10 I think, but might be OK on PE6. It is completely different to the Adhek Goby which is a surface lure best suited to flat water IMHO. This one swims in the sub-surface, and works well even in choppy seas.

If you know anyone coming to Bali I would happily source a few for you direct and hand them over. Cost about AUD30 a piece if ordered direct.  This is a very under-exposed quality stick.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 09:10:53 PM
Mark havent found it in australia found it as coming soon to an online store  defiantly interested in subsurface due to location unfortuantly no-one i know is  going to bali soon keen on the 140 and 160
cheers mark
Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:18:35 PM by Gareth Branicki

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 10:06:24 AM
Can't speak for the Gunz but I have had some good success with baby runboh sinking - multiple doggies to 49KG - but bear in mind the wiring isn't super strong ... as a doggie nearly bit the end straight off one!