Stephen Wan

Re: Shimano Spheros 14000
September 25, 2007, 11:45:59 PM
Hello David

I was just about to ask what sort of kit you're taking with you. I'm brand new to this. Never seen/hooked a GT before.

Friends I'm going with live in Singapore so they are taking me around to buy jigs/poppers when I'm on my stop-over. I do remember one of them mentioning the YoZuri Surface Bull GT popper. Sorry...... I'm not much help here.

Apparently we're fishing in the south where the GTs "aren't that big". Have to email my friends to find out what they mean by "aren't that big".

Hope some of the guys here have fished the Maldives and can advise.

Stephen

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 25, 2007, 11:51:52 PM
Hey Stephen

I'm taking an 8' Popping rod with the Stella 10000/20000 guessing 80lb on the bigger spool, 100lb on the smaller one, plus a jigging rod and 40 size Daiwa Saltist with 80lb. I'm taking fly kit as well so if I start breaking rods at least I've got alternatives.

Are you going on a liveaboard trip?

Agreed we should open up a new thread on the Maldives and kit lists!

Cheers

David

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 26, 2007, 08:51:01 AM
I am not at all familiar with a Lesath GT rod. I am familiar with the Lesath range but I thought they were rods for light applications!

One person here who has been to the maldives on a few occasions is wongkz. Hopefully, he might be able to gie you some tips but from my previous discussions with him, they don't load up to the same weight of gear we seem to do locally. If I remember correctly, I think they fish from 60 - 80lb for popping purposes.

David, the Yo-Zuris are fine but it is a good idea to upgrade. I think you'll find that the ST-66 Owners will be adequate. I don't think you will need to go to ST-76s and probably an Owner 10 - 11 split ring. There are of course other options for rings than owner like the Varivas etc.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Wan

September 26, 2007, 10:14:05 PM
Yes, it's a liveaboard trip.

Flying into Maldives from Singapore 8th December and back to Singapore 14th December. Then back to Sydney 15th December. Back to work 16th December. Sigh...

Still have to sort out my gear, I don't have any for this type of fishing. Have an 8 wt fly rod, might take that with me but will need to change backing, get new fly line and all that first.

Hey Stephen

I'm taking an 8' Popping rod with the Stella 10000/20000 guessing 80lb on the bigger spool, 100lb on the smaller one, plus a jigging rod and 40 size Daiwa Saltist with 80lb. I'm taking fly kit as well so if I start breaking rods at least I've got alternatives.

Are you going on a liveaboard trip?

Agreed we should open up a new thread on the Maldives and kit lists!

Cheers

David

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 26, 2007, 10:41:05 PM
Oh dear, you haven't got any GT gear?! This is going to be expensive!!

Stephen Wan

September 26, 2007, 10:55:36 PM
Oh dear, you haven't got any GT gear?! This is going to be expensive!!

Shhhhhh....not too loud.

This evening my wife asked me how much the trip'll cost.

Didn't tell her I'd need to get some gear as well!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 27, 2007, 06:24:51 AM
tell her the gear will cost more than the trip!  :D

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 27, 2007, 06:15:40 PM
Ha that's sad but not far off the truth. Once I've bought a 12wt fly rod and reel, the popping rod, the stella, 2000yds of various braids, 20 poppers, all the terminals, fly tying kit, gloves, gimbal etc I will have doubled the cost of the trip.

I don't even want to read about jigging in case that starts something...........

lonhro

September 27, 2007, 07:52:23 PM
David is there any diving of offer ???? i
t always fun i hear why don't you look into that too ??? ;D ;D
Plus ask Brandon's Tackle World One stella is never enough should get a DF to keep it company.

BUt if you do read up on jigging i know wherer there a nice torsa for sale at the right price lol ;)

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 27, 2007, 08:26:52 PM
Ha ha no I don't need any more temptation or any need for my luggage to go from exceptionally over-weight to 4 tons! Thank God I can't dive or everything really would go to to hell!

If I did this more than once a year then I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a stable of Stellas and that Dogfight certainly does have a certain appeal!

Stephen Wan

September 27, 2007, 09:38:23 PM

1 X Komodo Dragon, 1 X Stella 10000, 2 X spare spool, braid, 20+ poppers, hooks, swivels, gimbal, motion sickness pills, leader....

Maybe I should do some jigging as well........

1 X Blue Rose, 1 X Stella 20000, more braid, jigs, hooks........

Maybe I need a backup rod.....a Fisherman GT Game TR S!

It'll take years to pay off this credit card bill.  :D

tell her the gear will cost more than the trip!  :D

Ha that's sad but not far off the truth. Once I've bought a 12wt fly rod and reel, the popping rod, the stella, 2000yds of various braids, 20 poppers, all the terminals, fly tying kit, gloves, gimbal etc I will have doubled the cost of the trip.

I don't even want to read about jigging in case that starts something...........