Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommendations to Alor / Komodo Island
February 06, 2011, 08:54:28 PM
Hi Jon

Sure. I have heard lots of good things about Extreme Ulua. It is a liveaboard though right? I think Simon was looking for day trip options for Komodo.

Hi Mark ,

I think xtreme ulua will cater for day trip but yes it is basically a livaboard capable boat , I share your opinion it's best to take a livaboard trip to explore all the points of Komodo , at least a 2D/1N to explore the points between Flores n Komodo islands without going to the other sides ( west n south ) .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 07:56:35 AM
So where will my time and money be spended best hunting GT. Komodo or Bali. I see big fish in the bali reports, and alot tells me that Komodo is getting hard to fish, while others tell me that it is where the monsters are??
Greetings
Simon

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 01:07:17 PM
Simon ,

In Komodo there are a lot more GT spots than in Bali n Lombok combined , I was one of the few who fished Komodo a decade ago where in 5 days charter with 4 anglers onboard , we managed to CnR over 200 GTs of various sizes . Now such numbers are difficult to repeat , in my opinion based on the facts that divers still found big GTs in the same areas that these GTs become smart and won't fall for the old trick .

I went back to Komodo the year before last and we still catch GTs in numbers there but yes it was not as productive as in 2004 or earlier but from the same place , we still receive news that 40+ kg GT are still being caught although not as often as before , more sub 20 kgs are being more prevalently caught nowaday .

I don't fish Bali much these days because there are very few spots , those successes are mainly in Batu Abah areas but perhaps Mark can chime in on this , he lives in Bali while I am now mostly in Jakarta .

One last thing about Komodo , it's a very beautiful areas to be fishing and if you like diving , it's beautifull underwater too . 

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Al Morrison

February 07, 2011, 01:44:16 PM
Jon,

I agree that for the sheer beauty of the place Komodo is a must to fish. Its simply not like fishing shallow reef edges that you see in NC and the Maldives. I got caught in a large whirlpool on one day there - engine was cut for stealth - the skipper was shouting to cast into the maelstrom around us as we dropped into a hole in the water spinning round and round and three anglers hung on thinking we would die !! Exciting stuff and in hindsight not as dangerous perhaps as we thought at the time. We "shot rapids" between enormous boulders on massive rip currents. All good blood curdling stuff. We fished LOTS of places and had hook ups, so whilst i cant comment on bali I can say we fished lots of different types of terrain around Komodo and Rinca. We used a very fast boat and circled Komodo in a day trip. Maybe we wasted too much fishing time - i'll learn i guess.

Yes we saw dragons on the beaches too.

I'm no expert - merely a beginner at this game, but that was a trip i will remember till i die.

Our guide was a dive guide too and upon questioning why we were motoring past some stunning looking GT spots (stunning to us humans that is) he simply replied that in X number of dives he had never seen a big GT there. We fished the currents that were strongest. The only exception was some massive bait schools - many of which gave up GT's and Tenggiri.

Take this in with caution - i fished there once for 3 days - like i said - no expert, I think our best day was about 18 GT 's to 19kgs.

But what a place.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 02:06:59 PM
So where will my time and money be spended best hunting GT. Komodo or Bali. I see big fish in the bali reports, and alot tells me that Komodo is getting hard to fish, while others tell me that it is where the monsters are??

If time and money is not an issue, Komodo first, followed by Lombok/Sumbawa and Bali last.  That is also the order of how much it will cost you!

Others have explained above what a beautiful environment you experience in Komodo - absolutely correct.  That is also true for the wild southern coast of Lombok, in the Alas Strait between Lombok and Sumbawa and indeed, Bali where the main site at Batu Abah is stunningly beautiful.

Al's point about the currents is so correct.   One of thrills of fishing across Eastern Indonesia is the wild and whacky currents you have to deal with.  Nowhere is that more true than at the main Bali site at Batu Abah - it is like a washing machine.

I fish Bali very regularly because I live here and 40 kg GTs are less than 2 hours from my bedroom :).  Bali fishing does get a fair bit of poor press as well as the good reports.  Suffice to say I have had some of my best fishing days ever in Bali, and also some of the very worst. \

South Lombok and Sumbawa are relatively very underfished and I really enjoy going over there for 2 or 3 days. The best way is in a fast boat from Bali (2 hour crossing) and to stay for one or 2 nights onshore in South Lombok.

Finally Simon, if you plan to visit in July as you told me by PM, I would not really bother fishing anywhere in Eastern Indonesia at that time. The cold water and big seas from the south close down the desired fish.
Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:02:47 PM by Mark Harris

Lenny Lim

• Fusilier
  • Let's do it !
  • Liked:
February 10, 2011, 03:08:36 PM
Hi, Mark,

Almost finalized on our trip which would be in end of April 2011. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather would be good and the cold currents would not affect fishing activity.

Now the headache part is to fly to Labuan Bajo or Waingapu. After looking at all the reports, we plan to start fishing from Komodo till Sumba but if South East Sumba is good, then we might opt to fly straight to Waingapu and focus around that area.

The crew is all supped up ! Yesterday, we picked a good PE8 Yamaga Blanks rod which has good action and super light. Also, picked Accurate Boss jigging reels which by itself is a great sight to look at. The problem now is to get a good rod to match the bastar$@ !

I need to consult you guys further on the equipment to bring along after I sort out the logistics.

Cheers guys.