Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Casting gloves
March 05, 2011, 01:54:58 PM
Ben, try any Mountain bike brand gloves, they have proven to be excellent.
Brands like Troy Lee Design, Fox, 661, Oakly, Dakine, Race Face. Most are built with extra grip on the index and middle finger for brake lever control (in our case casting control).
All of these should be available at any good bike shop.
Hope that helps :D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 05, 2011, 06:17:42 PM
Picked up some 'Fluid' gloves today at Anaconda, at 50% discount makes it $20 :D
Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:36:12 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mike_Tan

March 05, 2011, 08:04:14 PM
Some bike gloves are reinforced at the knuckles and finger joints so they will be too bulky for fishing. Also some of these bike gloves are very thick and uncomfortable for use in the tropics. Avoid these bulky and thick gloves if possible.

Wes Blanch

March 06, 2011, 12:23:27 AM
Hi Ben,

Sux mate but i suffer the same problem, Me and a good friend i fish alot with got on to some shout gloves through JDM TACKLE, i wear 3L'S and i definitely recommend them, there mid priced, lite weight and hard wearing.
Worth a look mate. :) :)   

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2011, 09:12:39 AM
Some bike gloves are reinforced at the knuckles and finger joints so they will be too bulky for fishing. Also some of these bike gloves are very thick and uncomfortable for use in the tropics. Avoid these bulky and thick gloves if possible.

Yes some are reinforced through those area's (some to the extreme of full knuckle carbon guards avoid those) however they are all made to dry quickly and provide grip while wet. Obviously they were not designed for fishing but they were designed to provide excellent grip and finger control (brakes) under some harsh conditions.
Most bike shops will have a decent range of gloves (here in AU, NZ, US and CAD) far more then compared to fishing shop ranges of casting gloves, so you will be able to try before you buy.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 05:42:49 PM
Most bike shops will have a decent range of gloves (here in AU, NZ, US and CAD) far more then compared to fishing shop ranges of casting gloves, so you will be able to try before you buy.

This was a major puller for me... Only Cultiva gloves are available here in SA, and they are horrifically priced, and fall apart taking them out of the packaging, so don't really have any options to actually try any other fishing specific gloves, and I too have pretty big mitts... Bike shops means you can try before you buy... I wasn't keen to shell out a huge chunk of change on a pair of gloves online that in the end might not fit...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 05:45:25 PM
I'm another one for the Mountain Bike gloves.  Tried some Jigging Master ones on a trip over the weekend and was getting some rub along the ridge of my palm which was uncomforatble, didn't ever get that with the Troy Lee XC mtb glove.

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 07:11:02 PM
The no.1 killer of gloves is a slipping drag so make sure your drag is properly tightened before making a cast. Have ruin a few when I absent mindedly made a hard cast and the drag slipped. The finger guards that I use for surf fishing are cheap and lasts forever too. Give those a try if you really can't find decent gloves that fit.

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 10:15:46 PM
What would you expect to pay for a decent pair of Mountain Biking Gloves?

Scott.

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 10:32:38 PM
Got my Fox Inclines at around sgd$30... Not sure if the prices have gone up because I never had to replace them since buying them eons ago

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 10:45:36 PM
Got my Fox Inclines at around sgd$30... Not sure if the prices have gone up because I never had to replace them since buying them eons ago

They retail for around $45 in OZ