Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All,

First post for me.

I am a novice with GT Popping and head to the Swains / Coral Sea once or twice a year for weekly charters.
(Fish at other locations throughout the year - Not GT specifically targeted)

I'm looking at getting a GT Rod to match my Stella 20000. As the title suggests, I'm looking at either of these 2 rods. Can anyone give me their more experienced recommendations?

Thanks Ben.

Kurt Carlson

Hey Ben,
I have a GT Special and I really like it.  The cost does not break the bank and the rod is quite capable of handling large GTs.  I use mine with an 18k and 100lb powerpro.  The only drawback is that it is a heavy rod.  Team it with a 20k and there is going to be one tired angler at the end of the day.  I have been doing research on the kaibutsu rods, I have a long cast version with a 10k and it is nice and light.  I just recently shortened the butt section as it was too long for me.  It appears that the other kaibutsu rods have the same long butt section.  So, unless you are rather tall, it could be a problem for you.  It was for me.

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks Kurt,

I ended up getting the Kaibutsu DM - having 1.5Inches taken off the butt, to make it the same as the GT Special length.
I am 6ft, so this should be the perfect length for me no.

Kurt Carlson

Hey Ben,  I would be really interested in your opinion of the rod when you use it.  Weight is a big issue for me.  I am looking for something that can handle PE10 and does not make my wallet scream.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Shortened DM would be the way to go. The GT special locks up too high and not parabolic enough for my liking. Too heavy as well.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hey Ben,  I would be really interested in your opinion of the rod when you use it.  Weight is a big issue for me.  I am looking for something that can handle PE10 and does not make my wallet scream.

Have a look at the Kaiser EL Toro 180.  Not much more money but a whole world more of quality rod.