Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How often do you service your reels?
January 19, 2012, 06:17:06 PM
Hi All,

After a few months of use (about 3 times a week off the rocks) I've noticed that my stella 10000sw has developed a grinding feeling when retrieving under a slight load (when retrieving lures)

I'm not sure if this was damage to something from busting off 80lb braid when i got snagged or from something else... when i checked it just then i noticed that the roller bearing wasn't turning smoothly either - hopefully the grinding feeling is just feedback from the roller bearing!

just wondering how often everyone oils their bearings/ re-oils the service port/ does a full service on their reels?

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: How often do you service your reels?
January 19, 2012, 06:43:41 PM
I generally do it once a year, regardless of use. With lots of use I would do it every 6 months.

Speaking of which can anyone recommend an excellent place for Shimano services in Brisbane QLD?

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
G`Day Gavin

I service my reels when i feel they need a service. Some say you need to service a reel every 12 months. But the way i see it is why service a reel when it is working well. I have a reel that`s not been serviced in three years and its still working very well. I fish a fair bit and knowing that cleaning my reels and rods after fishing is an important part of fishing.

As for your reel: That grinding feel you are getting my be that when you busted off that snag with 80lb line you may have shifted your main gear or your pinion gear. As line roller bearings go i pack mine with grease i don`t use oil. Others may have a different opinion about using grease on line roller bearings. I only use oil on my handle and my bail arm where it meets the rotor.

Cheers Rob
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:52:20 PM by Rob Langridge
Cheers,
Rob

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 08:50:20 PM
Rob... you're scaring me!!

gonna go get it checked out by shimano now!

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 09:08:51 PM
Ha Ha be brave Gavin

Its only a reel!    if there is a problem it can be fixed.

Cheers,
Rob

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 09:44:24 PM
I generally do it once a year, regardless of use. With lots of use I would do it every 6 months.

Speaking of which can anyone recommend an excellent place for Shimano services in Brisbane QLD?

Jones Tackle or Tackle Warehouse

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2012, 10:39:41 PM
Once a year.

I get mine done at Fishhead, but in the past have used jones (who have been great).
Fishhead only because they are a carpenter and ripple dealer, and can fix up my rods at the same time.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 20, 2012, 07:32:37 AM
Can anyone recommend a place in Sydney (apart from the manufacturers)?

CW

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 20, 2012, 08:00:34 AM
Hi All,

After a few months of use (about 3 times a week off the rocks) I've noticed that my stella 10000sw has developed a grinding feeling when retrieving under a slight load (when retrieving lures)

My stella 1000FA has done 4 sets of line roller bearings in as many years, typically when they are gone it just sounds noisy rather than grinding.
A simple check for you to do though, get a piece of line a few feet long and pass it around the roller. Have the reel stationary somewhere and run the line back and forth applying pressure, you will soon know if its just the line roller or something internal in the reel.

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2012, 11:00:37 AM
Hi Warwick,

I had a fish this morning (after oiling everything)... faint grinding noise is still there but the reel feels quite smooth

just tried your line test - slight noise coming from the roller bearing

thanks for the tip - seems everything is ok for now!

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 20, 2012, 08:45:11 PM

Ben, I've used Duncan from D and H reel repairs and been very happy with his work. Very reasonable on $$$ too. He stripped my 4500 Saltiga in front of me in about 2 mins. He got it running a mile better than the , ahem, technicians at Daiwa. He knows his stuff!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 12:54:40 PM
I agree with Warwick here - a noisy retrieve on a Stella is so often the line roller bearing. I have had those go on several Stellas and Twinpowers and it makes for a very noisy retrieve.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 01:21:39 PM
I don't service them...but Shimano does about once a year  ;D My bigger reels don't see that much use but it means that I know every time I pick one up to go on a trip it will be in good nick and smooth