Lung Weng

Re: FG Knot issues.
October 07, 2012, 03:57:13 AM
whilst doing the half hitches, i ensure that i do not slide the line down the main. like u said, the line tends to break off at the hitches cos u may have injured the line whilst doing the half hitch by sliding it down. Secondly i just tighten the hitches sufficiently to ensure it wont slide off leaving a gap. In any case its the wraps thats holding on to the leader and thats the most important. Wetting the line whilst tying will give u an edge as well. Just my experience :)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 07, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
Don't know if its just me but i find it quicker tie a pr knot. is there a reason why an fg may be better than a pr?

The FG is smaller and consequently casts better, it's quicker to tie for someone who's experienced tying FG's.

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 07, 2012, 10:18:17 PM
Ah, i see. I usually make my pr's about 2" long when tying in PE6 to 100-150lb leaders and find no real hassles when casting although Im yet to fg line if that class. i only fg in 20-30lb braids at this point but i might try it on my PE6 outfit when i next go out chasing some seriola.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 10, 2012, 01:10:32 PM
personally, it is the FG for me regardless the line poundage and type of fishing method/purpose. weaves of between half of an inch till about 1.5inches depending on type of fishing and targeted species, and of course, the half hitches.

ultimately, i guess it is 'to each his own' when it comes down to friction knots.. as long as it holds and lands the fish, be it the FG (with or minimal half hitches), the PR, or even the Albright, or whatever knot that works for you.

Rob