Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shimano gt special
May 03, 2012, 09:12:11 PM
Shimano gt special anybody tell me the weight of this rod.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Shimano gt special
May 04, 2012, 08:54:13 AM
Doug,

I believe the rod is around 435g if memory serves correct.

What are you trying to achieve?

You have asked questions on a about a dozen products, instead of starting new topics, please keep it consolidated in one topic.

I also believe you should simply aim for a decent rod/reel combo and save for it. You will simply confuse yourself by analysing so many pieces of equipment trying to spend the least..

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 04, 2012, 10:39:58 PM
Whilst you may be an experienced angler Luke who has fished for GT's before not everybody is in that fortunate position, nor able to buy their gear at cost.
Those of us who have never fish for these fish before have to glean as much information as possable and to share their knownage which I thought was the idea of this forum.
Earlier on someone else said that the Black Hole Cape Cod rod was heavy at 422gms. Now I don't know how many people on this site are able to pick up the differant rods which are available. It has been mention on this site that the Shimano GT Special is a good starting rod but is a bit heavy. What's heavy unless a weight is stated heavy to one person may be light to another.
Thanks to those people who have made constructive suggestions I'm now able to decide what setup to get AT A PRICE I CAN AFFORD it know good suggesting a rod and reel set costing a couple of thousand bucks if (a ) the person can't afford to wait a couple of years of hard saving or (b) they will only use it for the odd trip every couple of years.
Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:10:21 PM by doug terry

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
May 04, 2012, 10:48:14 PM
Doug

You are in UK - I have carpenter Wild Violence and endless passion and 10k and 18k sized twin power and stellas.  I live in Dorset - you are welcome to come down for a cast and chat about GTs (probably best mid june onward).  If you are doing this all on the internet having a look at the tackle is going to make it alot easier.  I am certainly no expert but have done a few trips (just returned from indonesia) and if you haven't seen the gear I think it would be a very steep learning curve to do over interent.

Graham

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 04:05:06 AM

I am certainly no expert but have done a few trips (just returned from indonesia) and if you haven't seen the gear I think it would be a very steep learning curve to do over interent.

Graham

Hi Graham ,

OOT here , just saw video of your trip to Banda sea with Verdi this evening , very respectable catches !  8)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 04:28:52 AM
Thanks Jon.  Virdi kept tightening my drag as he says the WV needs it.  Next day- got a 20kg + GT and it took a few squeaks of line - he says I have felt some violence but not the wild yet :D 

GT fishing would be alot easier if the temperature was 15oC lower ;)

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 09:05:02 AM
GT fishing would be alot easier if the temperature was 15oC lower ;)

ha ha yeah I reckon that once those hooks go in, it is like a weights session in a sauna  :o
Focus on the pop

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 10:45:45 AM
Whilst you may be an experienced angler Luke who has fished for GT's before not everybody is in that fortunate position, or to buy their at cost.
Those of us who have never fish for these fish before have to glean as much information as possable and to share their knownage which I thought was the idea of this forum.
Earlier on someone else said that the Black Hole Cape Cod rod was heavy at 422gms. Now I don't know how many people on this site are able to pick up the differant rods which are available. It has been mention on this site that the Shimano GT Special is a good starting rod but is a bit heavy What's heavy unless a weight is stated heavy to one person may be light to another.
Thanks to those people who have made constructive suggestions I'm now able to decide what setup to get AT A PRICE I CAN AFFORD it know good suggesting a rod and reel set costing a couple of thousand bucks if (a ) the person can't afford to wait a couple of years of hard saving or (b) they will only use it for the odd trip every couple of years.

Doug. Don't preach to me about what the forum is about - that's why I created it.

As I said, consolidate your questions and make a decision.

My advice to you is to save towards an adequate combo.

If you have made a decision yet then I am at a loss and will commence backflips!

Luke