David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Color Poppers Should I Buy?
February 28, 2008, 06:43:01 PM
$50-70USD fishing lures are a new phenomena to me (I used to think $10 was a lot).  I can't help feeling like I am making an investment and want to make sure my decision is well-informed.  So, what colors should I buy?  I've always loosely subscribed to the idea that brighter colors should be used on darker days and darker colors on bright days, but I can't say I've had enough success with either rule to.. well, make it a rule.
I live in Japan and have the easiest access to Hammerhead lures.  I have looked thoroughly through their pictures and have made my three lure decisions so far primarily based on the colors I see most in their pictures.  But in looking through this site, I have seen everything under the sun inside a GT's mouth.

Should I think about color or just concentrate on splash?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: What Color Poppers Should I Buy?
February 28, 2008, 08:10:06 PM
Action is most important, at least in my opinion. In terms of what are the best colours, I honestly can't tell you! I think we all have our favourites. Even after all these years, I cannot conclusively tell you that one colour works better than another.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Geoff

February 29, 2008, 09:25:31 AM
Purple!

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 29, 2008, 12:42:12 PM
Hello David

This is a question I too have often asked and always seem to get mixed responses on. In my experience colour really does make a difference,  but trying to work out on a particular day which will work well; thats anybodies guess?

The method I have adopted is based on simply using a colour or pattern that would represent the bait fish of the area you fish. For example when I am GT fishing at one of my "outside, good visability" places and yellowfin are present then I would throw something that looks like a yellow fin - or at least somthing that has good silver flash on its sides, just like a tunu does - which I think is the draw card for the GTs, if you look at the belly of your favourite poppers and stick baits, as a GT would from his attack position, I think you will see that they all look very similar, but those that roll like stick baits with the flash on the side or even some of the better poppers with a colour like the prey, for me do seem to get more GT attention than just grabbing out a random weight and sized popper or one that is a flat colour. I believe it's the old wounded fish / easy feed thing.

In saying that,  if I am playing with the smaller fellows in our local canals which have less visablility then I find the dark or black work better as I think the profile will trigger the attack response more so than flash or a colour....Everybody will have different experiences with different colours but I have spent quite some time experimenting when the bite is hot and this is what I have found, I hope it helps.

Peter

Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:44:38 PM by Peter Lowe

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 01, 2008, 03:57:28 AM
As okubo might say... 'LOW LIGHT-O ORANGE!!'

:D :D :D
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop