Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello all,
What is your opion on the amount of tension needed when spooling up new line, PE 6 - 10, on your reel?

Barry Kurten

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Ben,

Just drop your reel off with Jon at Ocean Active ! He puts it on the best ! ;D ;D

If you really feel like doing it yourself,  one person must hold the spool with a dish cloth and puts enough pressure on the spool so that it is not too tight that the line comes off the spool in shorts bursts , but not too loose that it comes off too easily , it must be a nice comfortably tight crank when you reeling the line on ....  IF that makes much sense to you ?  :)

Cheers
Barry

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Barry,
Yeah Jon does do a good job but I am a bit of a do it myself'er and thought I would give it a try. I was thinking that I would put tension on the line then spool it up and then transfer it from the new spooled reel to another reel using the drag of the 1st reel. If it all knots up then I will take it to OA and let Jon de-knot it, give him something to do beside polish lures. ;) ;D ;D

Thanks,
Ben

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Sounds complicated Ben!

If I have to spool a reel up by myself, an easy way to do it is to put a wooden dowel in a vice, then an old CD or one of those clear blanks that you get in a spindle of blank cds, then the spool of braid.  Put a second similar plastic disc on top of the spool, then place a dumbbell weight on the spool - assuming you have one laying around.  Having the spool sandwiched between two large smooth discs just makes the process run a bit smoother.

I like the line to go one very tight, so there will be a decent bend in the rod when you are winding it on, and your cranking arm will get pretty sore as you are doing it.  Seems to work well though.

One day I will make up a spring compression line winding device but until then, this works well.
Focus on the pop

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello all,
What is your opion on the amount of tension needed when spooling up new line, PE 6 - 10, on your reel?

Hi Ben,

I have one of these http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/8612/dai-ichi-recycler-ds.html

Actually Chris has it at the moment..but you are welcome to use it. Actually very good and easy to use...more than enough tension for spooling, can also use it to transfer line etc etc.. :)

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I used both devices referred to by Chris and Clem, and I must say that Recycler DS is much better. It has a star drag like on bait reel and you can adjust tension very well. As for Line Winder, it is cheaper, but good tension can not be obtained. When you adjust tension needed for PE6-10 and start winding it just get loose almost at once - it just can not provide necessary drag for PE6-10. I would not use the Line Winder for lines more than PE4.

Barry Kurten

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Ahhhh Clem , you are the man as usual !!! AWESOME tool mate  :D .. Us plebs still have to "phone a friend" to help us spool a reel !  ;D

I want one ! How much did that cost if you dont mind me asking ???

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Andrew - Thats sounds like a great idea and atleast I would get some use out of my weights other than using them for door stops plus it builds up those reeling them in muscles...Thanks

Clem - I should have know to give you a call man...thanks I'll give Chris a call today and see if he is finished with it and then I will bring it to ya this weekend at GT House in Dibba.

Chris - Thanks for the info, I had seen that one before browsing their website and almost pulled the trigger on it.

Dmitrii - It is always good to hear from someone that has used different models and can give a comparison. I appreciate the info.

To Quote a friend - "Looks like this is yet another item I need to buy for GT fishing"

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Ahhhh Clem , you are the man as usual !!! AWESOME tool mate  :D .. Us plebs still have to "phone a friend" to help us spool a reel !  ;D

I want one ! How much did that cost if you dont mind me asking ???

Hey Barry, I think they are $200.00 odd...very good though as it accepts all size spools, I got it primarily to reverse line on reels that hadnt had much use and tranfer from one to another etc...more than enough tension for spooling heavy line also..has an expandable spool that allows you to wash your line off the reel...good for here where the salinity is so high

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
As much as is physically possible ... I was explaining to Nick Bowles about the digging in after he had his line ... dig in ... and lost a big fish and 100m+ of very expesive Monster Battle PE out in Oman ...

The only tool really capable of packing it rock hard is a commercial line winding tool - I have sort of jimmy rigged and built a sturdy frame that takes a large 12 inch spool and clamps it hard from won't move to varying degrees of drag ... I killed myself for a day winding line on manually onto my Stella's but I still don't think its good enough!

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Jordan... I guess a good test would be to tie of to a semi truck and let it drive off and see if it the line digs in... I know what you mean though.