Jonas Holmsgard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hallanyiat Islands next week - anyone else?
November 05, 2012, 06:41:19 PM
Next week, Monday Nov 12, I start five days of fishing in Southern Oman with a couple of friends. We are fishing with O.A and staying out on the islands.
I am just curious if any other forum members will be there during the same dates. From all you lucky guys who already been down there and caught some monsters - any last minute tips that we have not read here many times before (trust me I have read all the reports dozens of times;-)
From Nov 19 and on I might be able to get something productive done at the office again - hopefully with sore arms and back though...

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
Re: Hallanyiat Islands next week - anyone else?
November 05, 2012, 07:19:34 PM
Happy days coming your way! Poppers and Jigs are working the best and bring a few spare as the fish dont play games down South. Nick has just got back and they are still catching some Big fish (dont want to give to much away as his report is coming soon) :D

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 08:28:46 PM
Jonas,

With a bit of luck I'll be back down there in a few weeks time so keep the fishing on the boil for me!

There is basic but comfortable facilities on the island; beds are comfortable, showers are hot, food is great, people are friendly and you can even get the odd bit of washing done for you so you don't need to bring a full set of clean clothes to cover every day (more room for lures!!). Get used to very early starts even though the fishing grounds are close..we put the first lures in the water when it was still basically dark! Because the fishing is relatively close most of the time you come back to digs for lunch, a shower and even a half hour nap. The boats are state of the art and are fantastic fishing platforms. Cameron Mundy is the guide down there at the moment and he and the local captain are exceptionally knowledgeable as well as being great guys.   

My biggest piece of advice is to pace yourself. It's a marathon not a sprint (great advice from Nick by the way). A steady, intelligent approach will result in you being able to fish all day for the 5 days and not be a mumbling wreck by day 3! You can always hold back and wait for all the guys you're fishing with to bring the pack up with the Hammerhead G cups and Gamma 250s and then put a cast in behind them, I did (ask Nick or Alex or Wayne)!!

All joking aside though, I'm a comparative novice, 55 years old and NOT fit. I fished a Cubera 180 a lot of the time (admittedly from the bucket) and fished pretty solidly for the whole 5 days with this advice and the odd Voltaren....and absolutely loved it!

Oh, and be prepared to sleep the sleep of the dead at night.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor     
Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:34:43 PM by Trevor Skinner

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 05, 2012, 10:10:51 PM
Hi Jonas,

All what I can say, Good Luck and leave some for us, will be right after your trip  :)

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 06, 2012, 12:35:52 AM
Dang - no fair I want to go again! tightlines and hang on tight! I know I like to fish with the biggest lures I have ... so go for it!

Top tip - always have a light rod with a lure loaded for sailfish with singles off short assists ... as we came across them first thing at dawn and worth putting a cast in or two but be ready as you may only get one cast in!

Trevor - thats not fair!! twice in one year! good luck buddy - email coming your way too!

Barry Kurten

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 06, 2012, 03:52:30 AM
Hi Jonas,

The Heru 150gram Skipjack popper worked great when we did our trip down that way, they cast really well and help you cover a lot of water and can be fished out of the bucket quite easily.
Big poppers like the Craft baits GT3, Hammerhead and Cubera's also work really well.
And as Trevor mentioned, BIG stickbaits with plenty flash, like the Gamma 200's and 250's also work really well to pull up the big fish when things go a little "quiet"

Enjoy and we all look forward to seeing the pictures of a lot of MONSTER GT's  :)

All the best

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2012, 02:12:27 AM
Next week, Monday Nov 12, I start five days of fishing in Southern Oman with a couple of friends. We are fishing with O.A and staying out on the islands.
I am just curious if any other forum members will be there during the same dates. From all you lucky guys who already been down there and caught some monsters - any last minute tips that we have not read here many times before (trust me I have read all the reports dozens of times;-)
From Nov 19 and on I might be able to get something productive done at the office again - hopefully with sore arms and back though...

See you Sunday!!!!
Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:26:10 AM by Wan Izhan

Jonas Holmsgard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2012, 02:40:49 AM
Thanks everyone for some great tips. Will try to make best possible use of all of them ;) Luckily I have stocked up on most lures mentioned (and quite a few others...)

Wan: So you are fishing the same days? Then we will definitely meet Sunday in Oman!

Report will follow in ten days!

Cheers,
Jonas

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 10, 2012, 04:15:03 PM
Hi Jonas!! Hope you are ready, the long wait is over! You guys are hopefully going to have a great trip! Just got one of the boats back from a quick refurb in Salalah with a few extra rod holders, new shade etc! Wan and group will be on the island with you guys. Capt Cameron and Capt Saud will hopefully put you guys into some good fish been a lot of big GTs and AJs around! Good luck and give me a shout if you need anything!

Cheers,
Nick