Dave Creffield

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: smith 77HIIB Rocket
July 15, 2013, 07:54:48 PM
It's very sad to hear such negativity on both the Smith Tokara and the Fremantle. I have owned both the rods for many years and had no problems with either. I have fished them both over their specified ratings and the rods performed flawlessly.
C'mon... Just one more cast!!!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 15, 2013, 08:36:22 PM
Hi Dave, The Tokara is still a good rod and I would still suggest it as a good heavy popping rod and we do have them in our shop as it is a good option. Although I did break 2 in a short period about 5 or 6 years ago but I think this was down to being stupid and fishing with an Accurate SR30 with 150lb line and a locked drag. A case of rod or fish or angler was going to break. Bit younger and thinking power was better than technique.

But the Rocket and Komodo Dragon I have seen many blow up on our boats and some have been on the first day of use casting, not even under pressure. Once might be a coincidence but several times is a problem.

Cheers,
Nick
Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:37:56 PM by Nick Bowles

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 15, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
hey guys thanks for the replys! ok i may lean towards the cape cod now. can anyone else suggest some rods worth looking at in the $600-$900AUD price range?

Hi Sam,
If you are heading to the Cape and need advice let us know we will be more then happy to help you out,
as for rods, many anglers in the Cape use the Tokara for tuna fishing and  we never heard of any incident or breakage, they landed fish up to 300lb on the Tokara 60, there are many other options and if you are in the market to purchase a rod we can have it delivered to you to the Cape,
The Tokara 60 is still one of my favorite rod regardless how old it is, Yes many company had moved ahead but they don't justify the developing of many rods that seems to have the same action and power but with different names,
any of the rods that Nick suggested will do the job.

Jason D'Angelo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 12:45:01 AM
Heard the same from many fishos about smith rods
i have a komodo dragon
and the thing i hate with smith rods are
they are hard to take a part
any idea how to take it apart safely it feels like its stuck and wont budge
Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 02:09:34 AM
Hi Jason, Always a problem with a lot of rods in hot humid climates especially if you have fished for a while! I normally always carry 2 pieces of bicycle tube or the thick rod straps with rubber on the inside like MC Works, Valley Hill etc . Stretch and wrap the rubber around either side of the joins tightly and normally you will be able to pull out the two sections no problem. If this does not work put inside AC if there is any or put ice-cold water on the join and try again. Don't try pulling on the eyes or twisting.

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 10:26:07 AM
Jason, cooling the joint is the key. 

The most convenient way to do this is with one of those refrigerant gel/liquid packs.  Get this VERY cold, wrap around the joint, secure with elastic bands and leave for 30 minutes or so. You can also use a plastic bag with ice cubes but the frozen gel packs are much easier to wrap around the joint.

Also, if you are on a multi-day trip, always remember to loosen the ferrule joints each evening. The real problems seem to occur when rods are left for days on end to bind.

sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 10:48:45 AM
another one to throw in the mix is the patriot design black sword 78prisim or the 80arcadia anyone used these?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 12:34:30 PM
Heaps of favourite and reliable rods already mentioned Sam. I suggest you look further into those rather than fringe models, unless you have a specific requirement dictating otherwise.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 02:25:36 PM
The black sword and Arcadia are both stickbait rods. I don't think they're within the budget you mentioned either. Take a look at the fcl rods. You won't be disappointed!

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2013, 08:02:47 PM
another one to throw in the mix is the patriot design black sword 78prisim or the 80arcadia anyone used these?

I happened to use both PD black swords. 80arcadia has really much of a stickbait rod, but 78prism works poppers well. It pulled PD Master Bomb 155 and Craft Bait GT-3 150 with acceptable efforts for me, so I think HH E-cup and D-Cup won't be a problem.

As for the price, I always thought that black swords were about the same price level as mentioned above Hots and FCL, though PDs feel more bulky in the hands.
Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:47:33 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 08:59:06 PM
thank you everyone for your input was much appreciated. ive decided upon an fcl 81 extreme, its not the MH version its slightly stiffer was a close race between this and the patriot 78prisim. came down to physical weight and a bit cheaper the fcl smokes the patriot as far as weight is concerned and seems to have a stiffer tip and more progressive taper. cant wait

Tom McCafferty

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 24, 2013, 07:51:17 PM
Had a couple of casts with this on various trips.

I've heard nothing but negative reports, including numerous breakages.

That's not what I want to hear... I've got one. 

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 02:36:31 AM
I have 1 of these rockets and it has been use 3 times. 2 trips to the Andamans with best fish 129cm and 1 time in Eiao best fish maybe 125cm guess didnt measure this one. I am no pro and have only been on 5 Gt trips but i have had no faliure at all. I must say my go to rod is still my Carp. SP80. Maybe some of the breakage is product failure maybe some are bad handling. Load of crap to say it is lack of skills from European anglers, if you special skills to not break a rod. Dont sell it!!! Just my 2 vents as you Guys call it