Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Southern Oman with Fukui-san and OA
December 07, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
After an awesome trip last year where Fukui-san and group caught some amazing fish with a total of 12 weighed GTs and the average just over 45kgs including the biggest weighed GT in Southern Oman at 65kg, another trip was booked for the same period this year. It is always hard to match any previous trip as no two trips are the same but that is fishing and we can always hope and dream of having a successful trip never mind an amazing trip.

As the trip grew closer I must say I was a bit nervous and expectations were high and with the conditions and fishing being quite tough thought as I always do you can plan so much, the rest is down to a bit of luck and hard work. I met up with the guys that consisted of Fukui-san, Tanaka-san (caught the 59kg last year), Masa-san (Met in Tokara last year), Kazumi-san and Takeshi-san. We stayed at Juweira Hotel and had a great evening. Early the next morning we headed for the marina in Shuwaymiyah and met up with one of our boats and Capt Cameron. After a run out to Hallaniyat Island we arrived to the normal superb welcome for the team. These guys are just awesome and one of the reasons I love going to the island, nothing is to much trouble and the boyz have learnt to cook like legends, from Sushi to Slow Roasted Goat to Camel Curry to the best Samoosa Pies!

The next 5 days we had some amazing fishing with a lot of highlights! The conditions were tough with winds pumping 20+knots every morning with 6-8ft swell on occasions but one of the big advantages of staying out on the island is that we can still fish for GTs in almost any weather conditions. We also found a lot of the fish came up early morning and late afternoon so taking the short 1-2km run to the fishing spots was very manageable. All the guys landed monster GTs with Tanaka-san landing a 56kg and a 53kg. Masa-san landing a 47kg, Takeshi-san landing a 48kg and Kazumi-san landing a 40kg. We landed 12 GTs the same number as last year with the average weight of 40kgs. We also had a hook up of a 60kg Grouper and a 40kg GT on the same lure, totally amazing but unfortunately the fish came off on the leader but managed to get a half decent picture.

It is always an honor and pleasure having Fukui-san fishing with us, he is definitely a legend and seeing how he operates shows us that there is still a lot to learn and puts a lot of things in perspective. I look forward to our next trip in March 14.

Cheers,
Nick

Day 1

Having coffee at a local "Starbucks" on the way to Shuwaymiyah. Some really great little places to stop and have a coffee or something to eat! All part of the experience.

Arriving at Shuwaymiyah Marina before heading out the the island lodge.

The team on the island!

Arriving on the island.

The best fishing case ever! Fukui-san made this and fitted 17 RODS!!!!

Having a quick lunch on the terrace before heading out to fish the afternoon.

Tackle truck heading down taking the gear to the boat in our marina.

Local fishing boats in the marina.

Masa-san hooked up to the first GT of the trip, the fish gave a great fight!! Welcome to Oman!!

Nice 40kg GT

Tanaka-san hooked up to a beast! The fish put on the hurt! But Tanaka-san fought it very well with a very high drag!

56kg Monster

Day 1 and the team very happy with the trip already!!

After a good day out always nice to sit and relax overlooking the sea with a cool breeze!

Braaing goat skewers!!

If you happy to try something different the food is always exciting!

Starters every night, YFT sashimi and sushi! Got some budding chefs in the kitchen!

Dinner

Day 2

Double up early morning! There were fish everywhere on the first few drifts!

A lot of over and unders to land these 2 GTs from a dead boat.

Tanaka-san and Takeshi-san with 2 40kg+ GTs

Tanaka-sans GT

Takeshi-sans GT. Very happy with his first GT of the trip!

Tanaka-san was on fire and hooked into a submarine and took him about 20 minutes to get to the boat, but when the fish came up he had hooked about a 60kg Grouper and 40kg GT on the same popper!!!!

Big Grouper and GT on the same lure, unfortunately both fish came off when leadering the fish. Totally amazing!

Tanaka-san still on fire! Hooked into another monster on his Zebra Gamma 160 that he make with a permanent marker!

Tanaka-san with a 53kg GT.

Very happy captain after landing some awesome fish!

The guys lost quite a bit of tackle and every night the guys would totally redo all equipment in the downstairs tackle area.

Bonito sashimi tonight!

Day 3

Fukui-san letting rip early morning. He is definitely one of the best casters I have ever seen, putting a lure well over 100ms on occasions!

Kazumi-san was the only one not in the action the first 2 days and came back strong on the 3rd day with 4 GTs.

Kazumi-san very happy with a 38kg GT.

Kazumi-san on fire in day 3, bending on a good fish.

Kazumi-san with a 40kg fish

Having lunch on the terrace after a good morning session before a shower and arvie sleep before going for the evening session.

Famous Samoosa pies made on the island! Kazumi-san wanted to take a whole batch back to Japan!!

Masa-san with a big grouper taken on popper.

Dinner with Team Japan and Team Malaysia!

Dinner slow roasted leg of goat!! Simply awesome!

Mouth watering stuff!

Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:55:11 PM by Nick Bowles

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Southern Oman with Fukui-san and OA
December 07, 2013, 05:52:15 PM
Day 4

Kazumi-san with a speckled snapper! Amazing eating fish!

Masa-san hooked up to a big fish after getting broken off a few times, really great fight and what GT fishing is all about! Putting in the work to get a good result!

Fukui-san weighing Masa-san fish at 47kgs

Masa-san very happy with his PB 47kg Omani GT

Day 5
Final Day!

Fukui-san with a big speckled snapper on popper.

On the final drift Takeshi finally hooked into a bus that pulled about 100m of line off in 7ms of water! The swell was running one way with the current in the opposite direction so not much I could do with the boat! Excellent fight and weighed a 48kg GT!

Team picture with Takeshi-san 48kg GT

Awesome bunch of guys and fisherman!! Lots of fun and they fished really hard and got the rewards!

Packing up to leave the island.

After all the boxes were ticked for the fishing Fukui-san really wanted to see camels, so I became a camel guide and we luckily found camels near the marina! Great fun and pictures!

Celebratory and farewell dinner at Juweira Hotel.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
December 08, 2013, 01:10:53 AM
Well done big guy!
Your experience and knowledge gained you a great reputation and i am not surprised to see somebody like Fukui-san coming over and over to fish with Ocean Active.

Tight lines
    Sami

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2013, 01:33:19 PM
Thanks Big Guy! Was a great trip and loads of fun and hard fishing. Always appreciate all your help to make things happen!

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
December 08, 2013, 10:29:15 PM
Looks like it was an awesome trip again.

Did they use similar tackle as the last drip?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

taniy

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 08, 2013, 11:04:13 PM
Hi Nick-san,

Very good job!!
I took dinner with Fukui-san after arrived at Japan from Oman and he really appreciated to you guys!

Keep poppin'
TANIY

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 02:04:55 AM
Hi Craig, The plan of attack was very similar to last trip. The guys mainly used Carpenter Rods with PE6-8 and majority of the fish were caught on Gamma 160 and 200 along with Hammerhead G Cup and Shakure. The main thing that I think brought in the fish was the guys constantly had 4 lures in the water in all directions. Even when the guys thought there were no fish the guys carried on casting, quite amazing and definitely the reason they got the results.

Hi Taniy-san! Hope you're well and any thanks for all the help! I hope you will join us one of the trips in Oman!! Great to hear Fukui-san had a good time, really a honor and pleasure to guide Fukui-san!!

Cheers,
Nick

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 11:34:03 AM
Congratulations guys! Epic trip  8)

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 10, 2013, 02:36:16 PM
Shot Luke! Look forward to seeing you for a couple trips next year! Been to long!