Matthew Clem

Hamilton Island GT's
July 04, 2008, 02:37:21 PM
I'm heading up to Hamilton Island in October and was wondering if anyone has fished the area with any success on reasonable GT's? We'll be on the water for a couple of days but the guys I'm going with aren't super keen fishos so I suspect we wouldn't be chasing them that hard but a couple of areas as a head start would be great. Should I take light or heavy gear? or both? Cheers all.

Nathan Busteed

Re: Hamilton Island GT's
July 06, 2008, 05:00:23 AM
G'day Matthew,
I fish around the whitsundays a bit and I suggest that you try Hook Passage to start, then from their you can move around to the rock faces and ledges at the top of the Whitsunday Island. Their are plenty of little rocky points and reefy bays to fish around that whole area. I take usually take 3 rods, 1 light around the PE4-5, 1 heavy PE8-10 and my 12W fly outfit. Hope you have fun and hope this little bit of info helps you. 

Matthew Clem

July 09, 2008, 07:50:00 PM
Cheers Nathan, thanks for the heads up on that one, much appreciated. I've never been there, but I assume the area has numerous ledges/dropoffs and bommies, given the amount of islands in the chain. I haven't as yet checked tides etc to see potential current run at the time around there, but I'll let you know if I have any success. Thanks again.

aaron

July 10, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
hey matthew,                                                                                          october is a great time for gts up here!!
hook passage is a great spot to start!just make long casts into the current line on resort side and hang on.
p.s   get your self a copy  of 1oo magic miles.This will give you a good idea were to find bommies ect...     ;)       

Nathan Busteed

July 10, 2008, 07:07:27 PM
Yeah Matty, Aaron is spot on about the book "100 magic miles", Its great reading and you can purches from the Marina office at Hamilton. However be warned, my copie cost me 100 bucks a few years ago. Another favirot spot of mine is Martin Islet, Its directly across from Whitehaven beach towards Haslewood Island. Make sure you post some pics when you get back....

Cheers Busty...

aaron

July 10, 2008, 10:30:40 PM
for 100 magic miles head to sunsail charter boats office at hammo marina,
they usally have old copies off charter boats for bugger all! ;)

Matthew Clem

July 16, 2008, 12:26:51 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the head start on the area and as it turns out, the bloke I'm going with who's boat is moored in the marina there has a copy so I'll check it out when I get up there. Looking forward to some time on the water throwing real lures instead of finessing with feather weights. Thanks again for the info, and I'll post a trip report if I get a few... Cheers.