Norbert Haider

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sinking stickbaits
December 20, 2013, 10:35:24 PM
Hello everyone,
I was just asking myself how to work sinking stickbaits like Orions bigfoot or FatPat from PD. Just reel them in or work them like walk-the-dog? If there is strong current, should they be worked with or against the current. Swivel or Loop? How long do you let them sink?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Norbert

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Sinking stickbaits
December 20, 2013, 11:51:21 PM
That's a huge question Norbert!  And ask 5 different anglers and you will probably get 5 different replies.  ;) .

So what follows is personal to the way I like to fish.

I like to think of sinking stickbaits in 2 different categories:

- slow sinking/almost suspending types.  Good, popular examples of these would be the ASWB SS models, the original Heru Bobara and the lighter Bigfoots (eg 140).  Personally I like to use these type of lures in washing machine type conditions and work them slowly just below the surface - maybe count to five for the drop. Had a great deal of recent success in such conditions with this type of lure.  As for the retrieve style, it will vary with the exact lure and the nature of the conditions but a slow sweep or slow tip beating will get you results.  Play around and see what works and what makes the lure swim best.

- heavy, fast sinking types. These are really designed to go deep and dredge the lower part of the water column. Examples would be Carpenter Pandora (notably), Shell Shaping Kacha Sea, Heru Bobara XX and Adhek Sea Horse. With these there is less you can do to impart action on the lure as these lures really just roll lazily. . A long sink is in order - as deep as you dare maybe counting 1 second for 1 metre (depends a lot on the current though) . A slow straight retrieve seems to work as well as anything.  Personally I think it is a boring form of fishing but it can sometimes work when nothing else does.

The heavier Bigfoots (180++) are sort of a hybrid as you can use them for dredging as they sink fast, but you can also mix it up and bring them back up into the subsurface as they swim beautifully.

You mention the current.   With a strong current I like if possible to bring any GT lure across the current line rather than with or against it. I don't know why, but I seem to get more strikes doing it that way. If the current is gentle, then I don't think it matters much at all.

I hope that helps a bit. It is a far from simple question to answer!
Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:56:40 PM by Mark Harris

Norbert Haider

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 24, 2013, 07:50:53 PM
I hope that helps a bit. It is a far from simple question to answer!
It helps Mark! Thank you!

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 25, 2013, 03:28:00 AM
you can do almost anything with sinking sticks. twitch twitch pause (repeat) faster retrieve with twitching etc....try whichever works !