Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plastic Swim Baits
April 10, 2014, 11:41:40 AM
I haven't seen discussion about using large plastic swim baits for GT.  I've seen some custom made baits with superb action that are very effective for tarpon, striped bass, musky and peacock bass, to name a few.  Is anyone using this lure category?  Thanks, Dan.  :D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Plastic Swim Baits
April 10, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
Depends a bit on exactly what you mean by "swim Bait" Dan.

This term seems to mean different things to different people. To me a swim bait is a lure that requires no angler input to make it swim (other than winding). 

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 10, 2014, 01:05:35 PM
Something like this custom made bait,
.  I can see some inherent challenges to using such a lure.  First, the plastisol isn't nearly as buoyant as wood, although microballoons can be incorporated.  In order to get good casting distance, a substantial amount of weight would likely be necessary, making the lure more of a sinking stickbait-not to mention the weight of hardware.  A large treble can be rigged on the lure head to minimize impediment of lure action.  Certainly some interesting design challenges for custom lure builders. 
Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:23:50 PM by Dan Hanon

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 10, 2014, 07:05:36 PM
Mark,
Here in the USA the term "swimbait" most commonly refers to a poured soft plastic fish body with a paddle tail for a swimming action. There are a few made in jumbo size that can be used for GT fishing with some modification.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 10, 2014, 11:04:21 PM
Thanks Nathan.. got it now mate (Y).

It is a very widely used term that can mean so many different things in other parts of the world.

Vinh Nguyen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 11, 2014, 04:57:43 PM
I've caught a GT with a RonZ lure.  RonZ sadly pasted away but I think someone has taken over his company.