Raymond Orosco

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MidKnot Question
July 24, 2014, 01:27:32 AM
I'm trying to learn the MidKnot and I'm having problems with the knot sliding up on the leader after I do the reverse wraps and a couple of half hitches to secure the knot, before pulling down to draw the knot up. Not sure why? The first time I tied it, I came out perfect and I got excited. Now every time I tie it, like I said, the knot slides up on the leader when pulling tight. Just to verify, you pull the end of the leader and the main (braided) line away from each other correct? I've watched this video and they do a pretty good job showing how to tie the knot, but mine never comes out like his and I cannot tell if he is pulling the leader material and the main line together against the other end of the leader or just the main line. Any help and/or points would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: MidKnot Question
July 24, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Waxy braid can do it. As can flurocarbon leader. Maybe too thin a leader also...
I've seen midknots slip where I'll tie a FG and get it to bite.
Try soft mono leader.
Or touch up the leader with sandpaper ever so lightly first.

Cheers Dave

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2014, 05:58:08 PM
David has covered it I think.

This is a reason why you see very few mid knots around when compared to FGs.

Raymond Orosco

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 24, 2014, 07:23:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I just wanted to see if I could learn a new knot. Not so much to use it while fishing, but just to kill time. Thanks!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2014, 09:52:24 PM
I use midknot exclusively , soft mono leader helps but most of all , I use toothpaste to help make the PE line stick when making the reverse wraps and this has worked for me even when tying fluorocarbon leader . With thin line , one needs to make more wraps to get bite into thin leader .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Raymond Orosco

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 24, 2014, 10:13:19 PM
Thanks Jon, I'll give it a shot.