Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tuffline XP max rating
August 27, 2008, 11:24:34 PM
2 questions

How much over- rated (for breaking strain that is!) is Tuffline XP? Is it like Calis Jigman with massively overrated max breaking strains or is it closer to stated. For example, what would 50lb and 65lb XP pop at?

The diameters of 50lb and 65lb XP are 0.31mm and 0.41mm repectively. What would these diameters put them at if they were in the PE# scale? ie. is 50lb XP a PE5 in diameter or is XP 50lb fatter than that? And is XP an 8 carrier braid like Jigman etc

I'm going to buy some bulk so want to make the right pick. Thanks for any help

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Tuffline XP max rating
August 28, 2008, 08:01:04 PM
I saw an article in Sportfishing Magazine in the states that said Tuf XP tested at stated breaking strains and Powerpro over tested.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/initial-dry-break-strength-53412.html

Interesting stuff. Although this takes no account of shock load...

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 07:20:38 PM
Hi David. This article ties up with what a couple of tackle shop operators in Asia have told me. They reckon that the American stuff overtests and the Japanese lines are closer to their stated breaking strains. More importantly they reckoned that unless I was into breaking records it was better to stick to the Yank stuff and then just to prove a point one of the guys bowled over a 74kg Dogtooth on 50lb Power Pro.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 07:39:38 PM
In Modern Fishing May 2008 issue , there is an article : The Braided Bunch and specifically for TUFLINEXP , here are the results ;

Rated 10 lbs breaks at  22.22 lbs.
Rated 30 lbs breaks at  37.12 lbs.
Rated 50 lbs breaks at  66.84 lbs.
Rated 80 lbs breaks at 125.02 lbs.

If one wants to stay within IGFA parameters , it's best to stick with IGFA rated line such as SUNLINE Cast Away and PE jigger 8 HG with the results ;

Rated 10 lbs breaks at  9.94 lbs.
Rated 30 lbs breaks at 27.06 lbs.
Rated 50 lbs breaks at 47.52 lbs.
Rated 80 lbs breaks at 79.08 lbs.

Daiwa TD-Sensor Tournament lines are all overtest .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 03, 2008, 08:17:18 PM
Good stuff Jon, IMHO over-rated lines are a good thing, better knot strength, better shock load?
Is there any info available on whether they maintain their strength over a longer time?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 08:57:24 PM
Hi Chris
I can't see how lines can maintain their strength over time if it is being used. I doubt you would find much deterioration if it is not used but with constant use, The fibres are undergoing continual shockloads. This has to weaken them over a period of time.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 09:03:43 PM
Hi Chris ,

This is an inherent problem with braided line , one can't feel if the line has been nicked and over a week ago I just had a breakage some 5m from the PE to mono leader knot upon a strike from a medium sized GT , the line I was using then was PE5 Varivas Avani GT ( rated 70 lbs. ) which is considered the best in the market .

In order to avoid such , I reverse the line after a few days' hard fishing , the old line at the bottom of the spool and the new line on top thus getting twice the usage from one spool .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 05, 2008, 09:09:32 AM
The way I understand it the fibres in braid are quite susceptible to fractures if bent at accute angles (like some knots). Now if the line tests higher to start with then it should take longer to wear those fibres down to a point where they break.
I can see the benefits of turning the line over on your spool but is it possible that the line fibres on the bottom of the spool could be dammaged by pressure when it is not actually being used?

Chris