Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How Many??
December 02, 2008, 08:12:27 PM
I couldn't help but notice over the last year or so that a lot of you GT fishers also fish Fly :o
These two techniques are worlds apart but equally challenging, for me it's all about the hunt and then getting the hit ;D

How many of you also fly fish ?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How Many??
December 02, 2008, 08:15:36 PM
Me Me Me -------- it would be sacrilege if I confessed that Bones give me a 'boner' just as much as Geesss. But i'm not confessing at all  ;) ;) ;) ;) trout for that matter too hahahah maybe not that exciting though - but the serenity is there  ;D ;) :D

Aaron Concord

December 02, 2008, 10:41:43 PM
Even f&$#&(&$& donkeys can fly fish.....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2008, 05:21:37 PM
hello Donkey!!   :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

December 03, 2008, 11:02:26 PM
Brandon,

I'll even make you waffles  ;D

As for 'Shrek'....he's off my Xmas list for this nickname!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
December 03, 2008, 11:24:01 PM
Guilty as charged..... but I get a bit tired of the stuck up fly guys.... I am just a fisherman.... there isn't a purist bone in my body!!!  8)

But I like to flick a fly every now and then...  ;D

Oh, and I guess those Freshwater things are kinda fun too...

So I geuss I chuck the odd feather evey now and again....But truth be told, I haven' casta fly in a few months.. jigging and popping tends to make everything seem a bit tame really....
Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:32:43 PM by Andre van Wyk
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 08, 2008, 06:38:31 PM
Great photo's Andre

I too am of the non snob variety, mostly chase Tuna and Barra etc but a good GT is on the wish list ::)
I may even catch my first ever trout in NZ at Christmas :D

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 09:41:43 AM
Nice picture mate..Good work ;) :) ;D

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 11:58:17 AM
great pics there Andre, I thought for a minute I was looking at Schalk Burger?! ;D

Those are some sensational fish in their own right, let alone fly caught! Hats off to you mate.

Cheers
Angus

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 12:03:41 PM
love the shallow water bass and those GTs, what location are you fishing?

Shane Hartstone

December 09, 2008, 07:37:19 PM
Count me in... Salt and fresh.  Wicked photo's Andre

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 09:00:50 PM
Angus - Schalk Burger!>??!?!?!?!? If I didn't have such thick skin I'd be offended!!! HAHAHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the comments guys, glad y'all liked the pics.

All the Salty pics are fom a 2 week exploratory trip to the Outer Atolls of the Seychelles, Cosmoledo and Farquhar Atolls..... Heaven on Earth!!! Over 200 GT's on Fly in 10 days, ALL sight casted to on the flats....

That Bass ( Bohar Snapper ) was one of the funnest catches of my life... I wanted one o bad, and we were fishing the edge of th lagoon, with a big bommie filled pothole right on the edge of the grass flat, then dropping off into the lagoon....
Bluefin Trevally EVERYWHERE, and I had spotted this Bass chilling just next to a Bommie.... the first three casts at him got hit by Bluefin which become like pests in Sey...

On the 3rd Bluefin, I had him about a rod length away when the fly pulled out of his mouth and quick as a flas this Bohar slammed the fly and headed straight back to where he came from, under the bommie!!!

I had no choice but to lock the spool with my hand and hang on..... That Little bass towed me a good 5 metres acoss the flat and straight down into the pothole till I was chest deep and almost treading water while he ran under the bommie....
My old man was fishing alongside me and very nearly pissed in his pants from laughing so much!!! He couldn't believe I would let such a "small" fish tow me like that, or that when I realised that I couldn't stop the thing, I didn't ease up on the reel and let him run....

Well I managed to find my feet again and literally walked an winched this fish out from under his Bommie..... Caught alot of serious fish that trip, but that Bass was one of my favourite.....

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...