jay currie

Hervey Bay
February 09, 2009, 08:24:46 PM
Went to hervey bay in search of some longtails about two weeks ago. We got to hervey thusday night and stayed at moon point for the night for an early trip to wathumba. Weather was awesome and as we arrived above wathumba we were greated by hords of spotted mackerel the bloody things were everywere. We quickly got a good feed in the eaky with all mackerel over 75cm but the only problem was the shear numbers every time you had a cast at tuna busing up the mackerel were all over it we did see a 30kg marlin swim right under the boat wich was pretty cool (we did troll abit for him but had no luck) We gave up on the tuna and headed back for a quick session on the goldens, when we got to the spot there were goldens tailing on the flat and my first cast produce a nice 8kg fish wich was folled by two more then time to go home. All in all not a bad trip a longtail would have been nice though.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hervey Bay
February 11, 2009, 08:57:54 PM
beautiful catch there . i have caught thos goldie,s that is how i got stared doing the gt fishing  ;)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2009, 02:06:55 PM
Some BIG GT's in Hervey Bay.

I saw a recent picture of a big one landed from the Jetty there.

Pete

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
February 12, 2009, 07:31:48 PM
Mate well done,long tail fishing is the good mate,20lb/30lb braid outfits are seriosly fun..

Good work on the 8kb golden,and i bet u were waiting for that big long tail to push threw the spottys to get to the metals!!!! :o

Ivan Verhage

February 12, 2009, 07:40:14 PM
Some BIG GT's in Hervey Bay.

yeah there are some big ones
at the anglers den, the peir gt record was something like 50kg
that is great effort if you think it runs a meter or two and it will be around the pylons

check out the NE side of little woodie island
on our last trip we saw some 20kg modles cruize by but no takers

nice fish
ivan

jay currie

February 14, 2009, 07:39:14 AM
I Know what you mean about the gt's in hervey in early dec a mate of mine got a nice 15kg gt and 4 other strikes on a spot only 15mins from the boat ramp and then bargy got one only two weeks later just over 30kg i plan on hitting the spot a lot harder at the end of this year. Tides were no good last trip and find it hard to pass up the tuna fishing. I will be in fiji in a week and am looking forward to finding out why you all love the big gt's so much and also to catch some big tuna!